Solved! Go to solution

can i suppress mates in display configurations?

Hey guys, a newbie question.

i have a stack of fasteners (as an assembly) that can either be  mated to  "hole 1" or "hole 2" depending on customer specification.

can i use display configurations to surpress and then unsurpress mates appropriate to the hole?

or do i need to have two stacks of fasteners and then use display configurations to  hide the fasteners depending on which hole is in use?

6 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author precisionmounting
‎01-18-2016 04:09 PM

Re: can i suppress mates in display configurations?

[ Edited ]

Sounds like you maybe have SolidWorks experience. Anyway, SE's configurations only control display states - hide/show. So option one would not work but option two would.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

thanks bruce, thats extacly the case!

is there anything else i can do to acheive the same??

[ Edited ]

You could look into alternate position assemblies but it's a little kludgy IMO. Unless you do this kind of thing a lot your current suggestion might be easier for a simple translation of parts. If you need to get more fancy with more types of adjustments it might be worth learning more about APAs.

Maybe others have different or better opinions/solutions.

p.s. For assemblies you'll need to use configurations for BOM list control to avoid double quantities. There are other ways but that is simplest in this case since you will already have configs.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

thank you for the suggestions, i will certainly have a look.

also, i think kludgy is my new favourite word. Smiley Happy

Alternate Postion Assembly would be the best choice.  Alternate Assemblies function is found on the Edge Bar.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST6 MP14
Testing: ST9 MP1

Why do the fasteners need to be an assembly ?

If these are regularly used combinations I would use the Systems Library functions.

If they must be, could you use an adjustable assembly, then you would just need 2 mating faces and an axial alignment for positioning.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.