Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot license

Not applicable

I am having trouble with the licensing of solid edge student version. I have the program downloaded, my registration email has the attached text file for the license( I viewed it and the string of characters is 120, is that correct?), which I placed the text file on the desktop to conveniently access, then following Karsten Newbury's PDF instructions went to the start menu and selected the licensing utility and got a message stating that the solid edge license file is currently in use and I needed to exit the SE session and then restart the license wizard. I checked the task manager and there were no applications running. What do I try next? Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

7 REPLIES

Re: cannot license

Not applicable
Rename your license.txt to license.dat and dump it into the folder
c:\program files\ Solid Edge ST4\Program overwriting the existing one.
Or
open the existing one in the folder mentioned and delete the existing txt,
and replacing it with the text from the license that was send to you, and
save it.
The path mentioned above is just an example, however dump it into the
program directory below Solid Edge ST4.
Kind Regards,

Jan Bos
Geha
The Netherland
www.gehabv.nl

"dmorgens52@gmail.com"

wrote in message
news:dmorgens52gmail.com.50hc9o@noreply.bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com...
>
> I am having trouble with the licensing of solid edge student version. I
> have the program downloaded, my registration email has the attached text
> file for the license( I viewed it and the string of characters is 120,
> is that correct?), which I placed the text file on the desktop to
> conveniently access, then following Karsten Newbury's PDF instructions
> went to the start menu and selected the licensing utility and got a
> message stating that the solid edge license file is currently in use and
> I needed to exit the SE session and then restart the license wizard. I
> checked the task manager and there were no applications running. What do
> I try next? Any help would be appreciated.
>
>
>
> Dave
>
>
> --
> dmorgens52@gmail.com
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> dmorgens52@gmail.com's Profile:
> http://bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/vbulletin/member.php?userid=349500
> View this thread:
> http://bbs.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46562
>

Pioneer
Pioneer
I suspect you may have installed with UAC on and the file was hi-jacked. Check to see where UAC is set.

Might have to do the complete remove – cleanup – reboot and reinstall. (steps below)

1. Make sure UAC (User Account Control) is turned all the way down. Find it by going to the Start button and type in UAC. Click “Change user account control settings”
2. Uninstall Solid Edge
3. Delete any Solid Edge folders you see in the Program Files and Program Files (X86) folders of Windows Explorer.
4. In the Registry Editor, look for and delete any Solid Edge registries found in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Unigraphics Solutions. (Be Careful – only solid edge related ones)
5. While still in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software, expand the Wow6432Nodefolder and delete any Solid Edge related registries found under Unigraphics Solutions folder.
6. Reboot (very important step)
7. Reinstall Solid Edge

Not applicable
I could not change the extension, thanks for the suggestion though.

Not applicable
Dave,
I'm wondering if you were able to resolve your problem. I'm having the same problem. I deleted the license file entirely but I still get the message that the solid edge license file is currently in use. Anyone have further suggestions?
thanks,
Peter

UPDATE: I just went through the uninstall process and deleting traces of Solid Edge from the registry, changing the User Acount Setttings etc.......It worked

Not applicable
Peter,

I have not been able to work on the uninstall until today. Glad to hear that you were able to successfully do the install. The uninstall and UAC settings are straightforward, however I have never attempted to access the registry files. Was it difficult and were the solid edge files in the registry obvious to identify?

Dave

Not applicable
I made it by deleting the .dat file and replacing it with the license.txt, and yeah, the license utility opened, but when i browsed the license.txt from (downloaded from the mail to my downloads folder) and click it on ok the next message appeared.

Cannot save the file. You may not have write-access to the file or directory

What can I do?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor
My guess is you have Win 7 which locks down the Program Files folder and thus you do not have access to the "c:\Program Files\Solid Edge......\Program" folder. You need to have write access to save in the license information.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP7
Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com