Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

configuring a part install

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I want to expand my skills a little bit further.

Attached is a step file zipped, that's all you get.

Lets say that I am going to have to install this item later on and the enclosure that it is going to be installed will be 15" wide and then later on 22 inches.

The trick here is to configure to auto install by dragging this part into the assembly to be installed to the 15 and 22 inch models to where they are automatically placed when selecing the correct faces for assembly.

Did I lose you?  Hope not.  That is the next step that I want to master when creating my enclosures for the next designer.  I want to make it simple for them and myself as well as learn something creative.

I need someone that really knows how to do this and can teach me on how to do it.

Thank you.

9 REPLIES

Re: configuring a part install

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

That fan assembly is going to have the same hole cutout no matter what the enclosure size is, right?

So mate it to a cutout which is the size you want. Say 3.75" square. You would need a zero distance mate to the large flat face of the enclosure and two offset mates from two edges of the cutout. (Since capture fit doesn't work for center-plane mates. Or you could add planes to the center of the cutout. But then you would also need them in any new cutouts). After those 3 mates are added select the fan assembly and do a "capture fit". Then it should ask for the corresponding faces when you insert the fan assembly into any new assembly.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@bshand

Yes, the cutout will be the same regardless because of the part.  The only non variable is the enclosure wall or the xz plane that the part will have a 0.00 gap to its mate face.  The other two planes will not have the same distance since the width will be 15 or 22 inches apart and the length IE 27 inches for this example.  The symmetrics will be different when dealing with those two planes.

Now you lost me. If the fan cutout will always be the same what difference does the size of the enclosure make? The fan assy is only mating to the cutout for say, x and y, and the face of the enclosure for z.

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@bshand

When I install the part to the enclosure, sometimes there is no cutout and one will need to be created.  I want ot install the part first to make it symettric to the enclosure then preform the cutout. 

IE, if the enclosure wall is 22 inches wide, the part is only 3.75 inches wide, naturally is would be centered on 11 inches on the wall at 1.875 center of the part. 

The x-z plane would be 0 or to the negative for the depth, the y-z plane would control the left to right placement and the x-y plane would control the height placement.

Hopefully I didnt lose you too much, the cutout would be performed after the placement of the part using the sketch and cutout command

Phenom
Phenom

Instead why don't you do a connect to the midpoint of the cutout?

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@nominus38

I would have to manually place the part first then perform the cutout.  Unless I create a sketch, then cutout the metal and place the part.  I wanted to see if there was a quicker way by configuring the part to be placed using the relationship capture fit and then use the sketch command to preform the cutout.  But that is if there is only one enclosure, what if there was 5 of them?

some of the enclsoures that I design is 48x36x12, 48x36x18, 24x24x10 just to name a few from the hundreds

Since the depth of each enclosure is different.  I wanted to see if there is a way to have the part configured to install symmetrically on each one.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I forgot to mention also since I use sheetmetal parts, all of this is in the ordered method as well.

Haven't had the experiece to give sync side a try. 

If you always want it centered on the panel then @nominus38's advice works if you connect to the midpoints of the edges of the panel or if the panel's planes are centered mate to them.

Mating in assemblies isn't affected by the mode of the part.

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@bshand

Ahhh, I see.  I'll have to to do that and play with it.  Practice, practice, practice.

Thank you all!