Solved! Go to solution

convert line to spline

Hi, i have a line that was digitized as single points including curves. i need to smooth the curves so the points line up properly as though created by the curve option. Any way to easily convert the line? i need more points on the line as they are for an external application that requires it.

6 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Swen82
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: convert line to spline

Hi, Welcome to the Forum.

It's difficult to fully understand without an image, so if you could post one, would be easier.

From what you described,

1. To convert a line (straight segment) to a spline (curve in Solid Edge) use the Convert to Curve command:

2. To add more points to an existing curve/spline, select it and from the Command Bar, select Add/Remove points and click on the curve where more points need to be added:

Hope you find this useful.

I have a set of line segments that I want to convert to a single spline.

Doing this by hand is not a solution! I have seen this technology in other systems where I can define the tolerance and the system will create a single spline.

May be I missed something in Solid Edge!?

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

If this is a single time problem you can send the line segments to me, AutoCAD can make a spline of segments.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2017 user

Thank you for you offer!

This is a general request.

In this case we are talking about Sheet metal parts and if you have this line segments the cutting will not look as good if you have a single spline! Also for the laser cutting it is more effort.

I don't think that this is a "Manhattan Project" to realize something like this Smiley Wink

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de

Yes, with all the line segments the laer will take some time to start and stop at all those endpoints.

I am used to using a feature called join and you can control the degree of the spline you want to create.

Maybe that discription will jar some memories.

I was also wondering what would happen if you projected all those curves onto a plane. Maybe that will generate a single entity.

We made an ER for this because we have several customers looking for this especially in the sheet metal arena.

Stefan

smitsch@unitec.de
www.all4edge.de