Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

copy existing body to new construction body

Phenom
Phenom

I've been searching how to do this for a while now.  I would like to copy and existing body (design or construciton) to a new body.  That's it.  Just an identical body in the same location.  Example would be have a design body at a desireable point, then make a copy to a new construction body.  From that point on they can diverge.  This way I can select which one to show in draft views.

Thank you.

->If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.
->If you have started a thread and a response solves the problem or answers the question you asked, then please mark it as solution. Note, there can be multiple solutions for a thread.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: copy existing body to new construction body

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@bnemec

Just doing a copy function from the surfacing tools doesn't do what you mean? You can copy a body or face or surface using surface copy, select to copy the entire body, then you have a surface copy of the selected body. You can uncheck either one, the design body or the construction body. But I suspect I don't actually grasp what you're trying to do here. If so, I apologize. Clarify?

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Betreff: copy existing body to new construction body

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @bnemec

the question here might be wether a "Part Copy" wouldn't be better instead.

If those two parts will have different part numbers, etc. then the Part Copy would be slightly easier.

And if You have two Design bodies in Your part, they also will be calculated for mass etc.

Otherwise the Copy function under Surfacing would be Your choice!

regards
Wolfgang

Re: copy existing body to new construction body

Phenom
Phenom

@nominus38   That's exactly what I was after, Thank you.  I have looked for that function and given up several times. I’ve searched in several places; the Home tab -> Solids, around the "new body” icon and Booleans. I used the command search it and found the copy surface command. I didn’t want to copy all the surfaces of a solid just so I could stich them together again. I thought there had to be a command somewhere to copy a solid body (without mirroring it), I never thought to look in the surfacing ribbon, copy surface command (which has a tool tip that only mentions surfaces nothing about bodies.)

@hawcad   It happens in this case that the solid I want to copy is a part copy.  Both the bodies in this model are the same part number, the part is made one way and looks another when it gets to the customer.  One method I'm trying is to show the construction body on the customer print, but the manufacturing prints will show the part correctly.

->If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.
->If you have started a thread and a response solves the problem or answers the question you asked, then please mark it as solution. Note, there can be multiple solutions for a thread.