creating a sweep to come out at a tangent

Hi,

Im sure i have seen you mention this in a previous post but cant remember where. Im looking at it coming out like in the pic but with a smoother curve as the one i have done is from trial and error using top and back views to get smooth ish curves. The problem is the pitch is as a % along the length of the curve so not easy to calculate. Any ideas?

Chris

ST8 MP11 / ST9 MP02
4 REPLIES

Re: creating a sweep to come out at a tangent

You can sweep along a spline, but to make it a 3d continuation of the helix, I think you'll need a keypoint curve tangent to the helix (or perpendicular to the endface of the helical sweep). If you could supply a part or sample part, that might help someone be more explicit about a recommendation.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

The other day I was trying do some of my first sweeps in a long time. Tangent results (like a ball sitting on a table) is forbidden within a single part.

I have also sent this email to Prion for support:

I am having some issues modelling a hose which is to be deployed from an automated reel on the seabed.

Please see the attached image – the hose will be mounted inside a large drum, and ‘peeled away’ from this drum via the one end through a guide block.

Using the helix command, when adding a taper, I need the end diameter to be 0.00mm (I.E on the centreline). Currently this will not work. Also I cannot apply any form of tangential start or end constraints.

I have sketched in red pen what I want to achieve. Is there a way of solving this simply without creating a clunky compound helix with multiple nodes?

OllieH,

This might be close to what you are looking for. I used a 2D sketch to establish the centerline and tangent sections. Helix can't do zero diameter, you have to use something else to do that.

Then I just linked the end of the coil with the end of the tangent section with a Keypoint curve, using the end tangency controls and one control point to smooth it out. You could probably eliminate the arc from my tangent section, and just use the keypoint curve to do the whole connection between the end straight and the coil beginning.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.