Solved! Go to solution

display total cut length for manufacturing on a draft?

[ Edited ]

I've searched for a couple of hours now, and can't seem to find how to show total cut length of a sheet metal part on the draft. We have been given the task to start displaying this information for quoting purposes, so they know the total length of cutting for manufacturing machines.

On a draft, I can choose to measure total length in the 2D inspect tab, and click on each, and every feature, and a total is displayed but not put on the draft. It adds up the total length of holes and cutouts, just like I'm looking for, although it won't be fun with a part that has 80 holes. But, can that information be displayed on a drawing automatically?

Thanks for any suggestions (using ST4)

Michael

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.
20 REPLIES

Re: display total cut length for manufacturing on a draft?

Hi Michael,

No, I don't believe so.....and like you, doing this on a many holed piece would be a nightmare.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

How about the Area Object in Drafting?

Inspect Tab>Evaluate Group>Area>

Select the sheet face and accept.

Then look in the Variables Table for a Perimeter variable.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

[ Edited ]

Jason,

I get different results from that method, maybe I'm missing a step, or three [was ever hopefull it'd work]....measure length returns 2893.25, where as perimeter returns 5120.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Sean,

You are correct. This is because the areas selected are evaluated as they are selected. So whilst the overall area will be correct the perimeter value will accumulate all the common boundary lengths. Nasty.

This should be the subject of an ER.

Go on lodge - make yourself a hero Smiley Happy

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Actually...this process does work, but only when those additional regions are not identified by the fold lines....not displaying these enables the result to work.

Awesome!.....I will be deploying this functionality immediately myself. THANKS @JasonTitcomb 

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

So, there are two different ways to find what the cut length is, but is there a script to populate this onto the draft?

If I look in the callout annotation options, I can find Variables from active document, and thought that might be the ticket, but not so sure now. That variable doesn't exist until you inspect area, and the numbers for that variable name change every time you do it (in my testing). So, I can't put this callout on my draft template, it appears?

Am I required to order some Siemens note pads and #2 pencils to write down the results, and then manually enter the information onto each draft? :sad

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Maybe it is not so bad. The following video will show my method which will suffice until you get involved in some bespoke programming.

(view in My Videos)

Cheers

Mark

Yes, that's what I was doing as well. I was "hoping" it would be something with less steps, but it's better than nothing for sure. Too bad it wasn't something setup in the part variables, and would update if you add or remove features. Right now, if I remove features, the calculation updates, but adding features aren't recognized and updated.

I'll experiment some more, it's not everything I'd hoped for, but for sure better than nothing. If anyone has other ideas, I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Michael

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

How do I get the hatch lines to not appear on my prints now? I turned the color to white in the draft settings, so that I didn't see them anymore. But when I print my draft, the hatch lines show up Smiley Frustrated

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.