draft - default view from assembly

Phenom
Phenom

When I start a draft from an assembly the default inserted view is the iso view.

That's not good to start with, I want it to be the front view. I think this can be changed, but can't find it anywhere. Somebody who can help me?

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user
18 REPLIES

Re: draft - default view from assembly

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

While dragging the first view in the drawing, hit the View Orientation button and select Front View.

If you want the Front View to be the default, then I can't help you further, but the view selection is quite fast.

SetFrontView.png

Phenom
Phenom

I know I can do that, but I need to make 40 drafts today from 40 assembly's, so I was looking to avoid clicks.

...........................................................................................................

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Right now mine come in as front all the time. I notice in Drawing View Creation Wizard it's set to user-defined. i went to help, which isn't much help..Smiley Happy and it said

• If you select user defined from the Primary View list for a part model, then you can choose additional views to place with it. If it is an assembly model, these options are not available.

I'm not sure how to change that default

Capture.JPG

Phenom
Phenom

Do you think using a QuickSheet template will help in your case ?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@TDB, are you talking about part or assembly? For me, parts come in front view, assys come in iso.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

Assembly.

Both are the same as in your case, but I want them both in 'front'.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Joris, I know, I was asking @TDB.

Bruce Shand

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

@bshand Sorry, Assembly's come in as iso. Then, what does user-defined mean? how do you change it?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

User-defined means that you want to use an orientation that you have saved as a custom view.

Edit: Now that I tried it using it I don't know what user-defined is for. It's not what I thought. And naturally the help appears to be useless.

What determines the default for parts and assemblies remains a mystery.

Perhaps @Tushar's suggestion merits looking into.

Bruce Shand