Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drafting formulas

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

%{File Name (no extension)|GP} (%{Parts List Quantity|G} PLCS)

That's a start.

I use the above formula ALOT in some of my drafts. 

Now for the exra pizazz. 

EG:  I have a 1/4-20 weldnut

The parts listed in the library for it is listed as part number and the Qty used as per formula and comes out as such:

200-0468 (10 PLCS)

That part is correct, but is there a way that I can show dimensional sizes such as "1/4-20 WELD NUT", and if so how?

Thank you.

16 REPLIES

Re: drafting formulas

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Lex-luthor,

One way might be to use a part property field, say "Title" [or another field], instead [or as well as]of the file name.....and make sure those specs are filled in on that filed, and it should work for you.

Title: %{Title|GP} (%{Parts List Quantity|G} PLCS)

Part# & Title: %{File Name (no extension)|GP} %{Title|GP} (%{Parts List Quantity|G} PLCS)

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000
Testing: Solid Edge 2019

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@SeanCresswell

You rock! 

That did the trick.

Thank you Sir!

Very welcome @Lex-luthorRobot Happy

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x3 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000
Testing: Solid Edge 2019

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

As a bit of information, I looked into the file properties of that individual part and found the callout information pertaining to the part in it.  I should be able to shorten the titles there.

Thank you again.

Sean the "Superman" rules!

I'm confused. You want the parts list quantity to be part of the part name?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@bshand

In some of the drafts that I create, there is instances where I use detailed callouts. 

We "write" or create instruction for the people of our assembly line to finish the models for us.

If we just show the part nubmer and the instances of how many times that part is used, then it is not enough information of those in the assembly section.  Ergo if a assembler grabs a #8 machine head srew when actually they need to get a #10 phillips round head screw would make a difference.  Sometimes part numbers them selves are not enough.  Now on the customer side of the drawings, the customer will not be able to tell the difference when looking at the drawing if it just contains the part number and the number of instances. 

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Not really. Again, are you making partls list quantity part of the part file names?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

HI @Lex-luthor

I must agree to @bshand.

Your arguments and how You use the SE properties of name, number etc. are - let me say - not very common.

You have parts with document numbers on the one hand and You have quantities of how often they are used on the other.

The name and doc number has nothing to do with the quanatity of usage.

Using BOM and pos numbers with quantity will do all for You and this automatially without any problem.

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@bshand

No, I dont make the part list part of the file name, I just need to show the specs of the part where needed when I place them into the drafts for the customer.  This answers the customer question of what is it and how many times is it being used in the detail callout.

This also helps to show specifics when we need to specify a part to the assemblers to avoid confusion.