dxf results from dimples, ribs, and offsets

Okay, I've only recently started working with dimples, ribs, and offsets in sheet metal parts. Something that seems odd to me is that I have to go back and "clean up" my dxf files so that the CNC software (and programmer) can recognize what I'm wanting. Are there settings that can help me avoid having to take this extra step? I'm extremely conscious of the time I spend designing projects, and anything like this really burns my butt.

Dimples will have around 7 lines in my dxf, and I get to go back to my part file and write down what dimple tool size, and hole size I modeled, and then delete/add those size holes to my dxf.

Ribs will have have 8 lines in my dxf, and I get to determine the center line for all these lines, and delete/add lines to my dxf.

Offset tools are also something that requires my attention, but I've not had to clean my own dxf, yet. I'll be diving into using an offset next week, and I'll get with the programmer to find out if they need one, or two lines for their software to identify what I need.

It's fairly updated SigmaNest that they use, so it's not like it's 20 year old software that doesn't have some intelligence to it. But, after having spent some time cleaning up my dxf files, I can see where it would be difficult for the CNC software to decide what was needed. I've got many years of experience with CNC programming, but I'd never dealt with any of these tools with the products at that time.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.
3 REPLIES

Re: dxf results from dimples, ribs, and offsets

i wonder if turning off tangent lines in your draft view would produce the view you need  and/or if a section view of the dimple might be more appropriate or at least more clear for communication.

I've opened a draft that has the flat pattern on it, and tangent lines are turned off.

The craziest thing about the dxf of a part with dimples: of those 7 lines, not ONE of these lines is the size of the dimple tooling I'd used. Thus, I get to go back to the part file, opened the part to see what size tool I'd used, and then go back and add that size hole to the dxf file.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Hi there,

Further...be aware, the Draft of your model will not always represent how the DXF is being exported, when using the "Save As Flat" method in Sheet Metal.....you'll need to go through the various setting in "Options" before pressing "Save".

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10