Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

edit link in draft

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

OK, this might be a little difficult to follow but here goes. I am working on laminate drawings for small parts. I use the mold, drawn in ST10 MP1, in the draft environment. I can detail a complete laminate plan which works great. I save that draft file, and then I need to create the same laminate plan in draft from a different part. I save the draft file with a new name, still linked to the original part, and then edit links so it would is linked to the new part file. I return to the draft environment and the thin gray lines are around each view. I update the drawing, and the thin gray lines turn into dashed lines with nothing showing in the view. I can double click on the view and it will take me to the correct part. Close the part, and return to Draft environment, and the same dashed lines are around the views. Click on the view to check the properties and there is no link to the part in the properties. Check the edit link and it is pointed at the correct location and correct part....

What the heck?

15 REPLIES

Re: edit link in draft

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Edit links window

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dashed lines around views in Draft

Not sure why this would be happening. I tried all the combinations I can think of, actvating the drawings, not activating, going through Design Manager, etc.

The goofy thing is that I can click on the view and hive it take me to the correct part....

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Happy Halloween!

Regards

Peter

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

When you start the second part, copy both the draft and the part at the same time using revision manager.

Do do this, open the draft in revision manager, then copy the entire group of files (including the assembly and the assembly parts) but don't copy any "standard parts" in those cases the links will be updated and both the old and new will be using the standard parts. Then all the links are maintained.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hmm. The draft must be haunted. Wait until tomorrow.

That is weird though. Can you upload it?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yes, but....I am not copying the part. I am saving the draft file as a new one, and then changing the link to another already existing part.....I can either Edit the Link from within Draft or use Replace in Design Manager. Neither of those paths work.......

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I can upload the draft but dont I need to upload the part files too?

Maybe not. At least I could replace with some part and see if it still does it. But, yeah, having your complete workflow would be ideal. Do what you can. You could zip up all three files into one file.

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend

You'll call me Crazy(er), but I've had that happen with a top level assembly that had a Frame Environment deeper inside a sub-assembly. I had to restart Solid Edge for it to work again. I don't use Frame enough to say this is common, but it happens whenever I open that assembly and drafts.

That's a point @Trikefreak. Have you rebooted or at least restared SE @Greybarn?

Bruce Shand