explode a surface body

Legend
Legend

Hello, I have an imported model that has a surface body.  I need to remove some features to simplify the model.  I can remove the faces that make up the features, but some commands like extend surface appear to get upset when I try to extend one surface of the body to another surface of the same body.  I would like to "explode" or "unstitch" the surface body so that each surface is alone.  I can see all the boundry lines of the surfaceses so I'd like to split on those lines but in one operation, not ~hundred.

Is there a way to split out all the faces in a surface body in one step?

Thanks.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.
5 REPLIES

Betreff: explode a surface body

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @bnemec

without having the part file opend I only can say, that one method must work at any case and that is to "copy the surface" first which You afterwards can trim or extend

I thought, that an export as step/parasolid etc. and a reimport will halp but so far I always get back one single body but not several surfaces.

But I'm confident, that there was an option to set exactly for that issue

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend
I'm giving ST another go, but it is not taking the embossments very well. As you can guess I'm not allowed to share the model or post screen shots.

I did the copy surface method on another imported part from a customer that keeps the models a little simpler. This one has quite a few, was hoping to get that effect with one operation; the grouping option in the tree is nice to keep it clean in this case.

I had not thought of exporting the imported model and bringing it back in to SE, that's a good idea. I'd have to agree there is a way to get each surface to come in as a body. A vendor always does that and sometimes the stitch tolerance must be set to max.

Phenom
Phenom

When you import you could try turning off  'Heal& Stitch' on the import options.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @beachcomber

Yes, but the export system has defined it as single body then this option - at least here for me - doesn't change anything to split it into single surfaces rather than one body

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

That was it, from Hawcad's comment I was trying to adjust import settings using the .stp file they sent that we had been working off of.  I did some digging and found that they also sent an .igs file as well but it has a different file name.  Setting the options in that as you suggested worked and gave me just under 700 surfaces.  Setting the import option to not heal and stitch in the .stp still produced a body.  I think I lucked out that they had different export settings for the igs.  I just need to over lay the two to be certain I'm working off the same revision.  Before I asked here had not thought of fiddling with the import settings, was trying to do it all from the part environment.  As usuall, when I'm stuck I'm usually down the wrong rabbit hole with blinders on.  Thanks guys!