exporting faces to dxf

Builder
Builder

Hi again,

I design my parts in 3d. When using SolidWorks, I can export a face as a DXF file, and use that for laser cutting or other machining of 2.5D parts. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to export SolidEdge views as a DXF.

Can this be done?

5 REPLIES

Only components designed in the "Sheet Metal" [or convert...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

Only components designed in the "Sheet Metal" environment [or *.Par files converted to] can be saved as a DXF, using the flat pattern process,...but otherwise, you'd need to make a "Draft" file, orient a view for the face required, and save as DXF.

Make certain the view is placed at 1:1. >or< RMB on the scaled view, select "Draw In View", then save as DXF. [is sure way to be at model size]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Re: Only components designed in the "Sheet Metal" [or convert...

Phenom
Phenom
If you use complex profile shapes, pay attention to the Sheet Metal 'Flatten' options to ensure that your geometry is unfolded the way you want it to be.
-Dylan Gondyke

Re: Only components designed in the "Sheet Metal" [or convert...

Phenom
Phenom

"I design my parts in 3d. When using SolidWorks, I can export a face as a DXF file, and use that for laser cutting or other machining of 2.5D parts. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to export SolidEdge views as a DXF.

Can this be done?"

A free macro that does exactly this is avaiable here:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Face-to-DXF-Free-macro/m-p/400606

~Tushar

Re: exporting faces to dxf

Experimenter
Experimenter

If you can create a view that shows the face you want then this should work

Step 1: make the view that you want in a draft

Step 2: right click the draft and go to draw in view

Step 3: click the application button - Save As - Save As Translated

Step 4: pick your file type as dxf

Hope this helps

Re: exporting faces to dxf

Phenom
Phenom

The discussion so far calls for a clarity between exporting a face and exporting a drawing view.

For this model

01.png

exporting the top view would create a DXF like this:

03.png

and exporting just the picked face would create a DXF like this:

02.png

You must decide what the cutting machine wants to see being fed to it.

Whereas there is a facility to export a view to DXF from within Solid Edge, no macro is required unless someone wants to simply automate the workflow.

A macro is required to export just a face since this feature is not available in SE.

This was the most challenging of macros that I've ever written.

It involved extracting all edge data of the selected face, especially deciphering arc data - start angles and end angles involving determination of clockwise and anto-clockwise directions and then mapping that information to the requirements of DXF codes which follow an altogether different convention for arcs.