extrude from flat face to curved face

Experimenter
Experimenter

Can anybody help,

I am trying to create a cut from a flat face to a curved face without breaking through the surface. Maybe the picture will help explain?

Ihave managed this in solid works, but am unsure how to do it in Solid Edge?

12 REPLIES

Re: extrude from flat face to curved face

Phenom
Phenom

In the extrude toolbar, under extent, there's an option for Through Next which will do what you're asking. Or alternativly you can do from/to extent to go between two curved surfaces.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hi Alex,

I only want to go up to the face, not actually break through it. When i choose from/to extent i get an error message that reads:

Zero thickness (non-manifold) body: The resulting intersection is not supported.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Maybe this explains a little better. I want to use the sketch to cut co the cylinder face, through the support and rounded edges.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I think your stuck with this one, or a long work around. Project and include ONLY work normal to the target, not normal from the source. The only way to get this done at all is to figure out the sale factor going around the bend, and do a scale to the coordinates of the desitation along one axis and map out the point.

I hope I'm wrong but that's my current understanding.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hi Phenom,

Thanks for the reply. I thought there would not be an easy solution, which is a shame, as on solid works you have the option of selecting 'up to surface' and it creates the cutout to the cylindrical face.

Not bad though, this is the only downside i have found to Solid Edge so far.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm an ordered sheet metal guy. Look at the blue surface stuff, it looks like there are some tools there that could help. I noticed that today while trying to do some weld creation.

If there are any class A surfacing guys around, they will have the good info. I did that stuff in Imageware, but not in SE yet.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

Are you trying to cut up to the inside curved face of the radial slots?  If so, you can make your cut with the circle using the finite extent option but leave it short.  Then use "replace face" in surfacing to pick the inside wall - you will probably also need to pick the fillets as well.  Doing so will also consume the fillets.  If doing this in ordered, I recommend doing the cut operate before the fillets.  Cut to Face.JPG

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Dowler82,

Further to @kjoiner's info.....you could add an offset surface, then use the "From/To Extent" step when placing the hole or cutout.

Capture_11102016_0830.PNG

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

I just realized there is a better way to employ replace face.  Go ahead and let the cut penetrate the inside wall of the radial slot.  Then use replace face to fill in the excess depth.  That will preserve your fillets so you don't have to re-order them.

Cut inner face.JPGReplace excess depth.JPG

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1