Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: extrusion of a closed shape along a curve

Legend
Legend

Capture.PNG

Not in German, but hope the icons help get you there....

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

This is one if the things solid edge does better than just about any other software. Any profile, any path, it will correctly go around the corners. The only gotcha is if you end up with geomotry where a cuved surface is tangent to another part of the result. 

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Hans11

maybe it is due to the time but I can't realize what You are describing.

Do You have one or more picture or the part to upload here?

And as answered already, the Frame button is found under Extras  in ASM

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Dear Wolfgang,

I guess the crucial information, I left out was, that with my "solution" finally I was describing a process to generate the tubing-frame in the "par"-mode, not in the ".asm"-mode.

Yes, in the mean-time with the hint of trikefreak I found the "Frame" (= "Rahmen") under Tools (="Extras") in the german version of Solid Edge. Right now I was successfull going this way You suggested. It is indeed much more practical than using the ".par"-mode. Finally the frame I generated this way is a ".asm"-file. I don't know if it was better to have the generated frame as a ".par"-file. But I guess I have to take this ".asm"-file as the assembly I have created anyway. Or would You suggest to transform it into a ".par"-file, if that was possible at all?

best regards

Hans

Hi @Hans11

no keep it as ASM is the easiest way to handle with.

But my request before was to see why the part mode didn't work.

I would like to see Your sketches and try to solve this too.

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Dear Wolfgang,

I include a screenshot of the successful construction of the frame. Thank You for Your efforts to help.

TubeFrame.jpg

Hi @Hans11

welcome,  so finally was this the solution to Your request?

But don't forget to upload Your original part with sketch if possible.

It would be fine to see what was wrong there to give an answer for all of us.

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Dear Wolfgang

I enclose a video showing my first approach to the problem.

The path is the rectangular, the cross-section is the circle in a plane perpendicular to the rectangular.

When I start the guided protrusion, the rectangular doesn't seem to be accepted as a path, as I don't get the chance to choose select the cross-section.

best regards

Hans

(view in My Videos)

Hi @Hans11

there are several infos I have seen in Your video to which I would like to say some words:

1. First I see that You are using ST8, so maybe this could be a problem of ST8 too, espacially I'm missing a certain button in Your samrt ribbon tab
  2. Next is, Yu are trying to achieve this in sync, what in the fatc is no problem but I would suggest to creat "Sweep Protrusions"  as Ordered, since so YOu have access to the definition profile of guide curve and cross section
  3. And finally - and I suppose this is the main issue - YOu try to use a "Multiple Path and Cross Section" option for that sweep, even if there is only one path and one cross section.
    So change to "Single Path and Cross Section" and I suppose everything will work fine

See video

(view in My Videos)

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

If you put your cross section sketch along one of the sides of the rectanglular path, instead of the corners, it should work.  The cross section sketch does not have to contact the path sketch