extrusion

Hi,

I am working on creating a cylinder which has a certain complex shape extruded from the inside i.e. the outside surface looks like a cylinder but the inside has the shape. I have the inside shape 3D which is itself a hollow entity. How do I proceed? I tried using 'subtract' but since the 3D shape which I have is very thin, it is not working. Please find attached the shape I want to create inside the cylinder. I also tried solidifying the shape I have so as to subtract it later but that too is not working.

Suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Man Mohan

12 REPLIES

Re: extrusion

I figured it out !! One surface was hindering the stitching of the surface. I deleted that syrface, stitched the figure to get a solid and then subtracted that solid from the cylinder inside. Took two days of banging my head.

Kudos !!

I'm not sure what you're doing but is it possible to get the shape of the inside by using include on a sketch and then using that sketch (half of it) to do a revolved cut?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi,

You are right. I tried that and it works. However, my shape itself was not a complete 360 degrees revolved cut. It included a certain revolved surface for say 120 degrees, then some other shape for 120 degees and then the remaining 120 for a third kind of shape which was taking some time.

Since I had the whole shape already with me, I solidified it using 'stitch' and then subtracted that shape from the cylinder after aligning and inserting my shape inside the cylinder.

Oh, didn't know it wasn't uniform. Good work.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I have another issue now on this front. I have created the part as discussed above. Now, this one single solid body has to be divided into 3 pieces. I have been trying the 'split' command but with no results. Is there any specific way of using this or any other feature of splitting the solid body into multiple parts?

Thank you.

can you post a screen shot and your file as parasolid.

i on st7 and hence can not open.

split should be the trick  try to follow the prompt bar carefully, it should work.

Please find attached the parasolid file and the screen shot of the body.

how / where are you needing to split ? 

I want to split at the sections located 80 mm and 140 mm from the surface where the opening is visible.