feature request Back gage (Or gauge if you prefer) & Stick out

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I want to see if any one else desired this same feature.

For sheet metal, I would like to be able to add "back gage" and "stick out" to sheet metal bend tables.

Does any body else have the same wish?

Details:

Back gage = the back stop dimension that must be entered into the folding or break machine used to align the sheet metal in the machine before bending.

Stick out = The distance the part is sticking out of the machine before it's bent. This allows the operator to check the back gage with a tape measure where they can use it.

If the bend in question is the first bend of a part, these are easy to come up. Simply dimension from the edge of the piece to the bend line. But once you get past the first bend (say you have 7 bends), then these values are very time consuming to generate.

So mutch so, that my entire workflow is cetered around getting these values generated.

My job is create drawing for two purposes.

1. Cut steel (typically sheet metal flat patterns)

2. Create bend table that include back gage and stick out.

Then the workers can cut and fold the sheet metal with known dimensions.

Why is nobody else asking for this?

12 REPLIES

Re: feature request Back gage (Or gauge if you prefer) & Stick out

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
I hear that this pains you, and the considerable lengths that you go through to accomplish this within Solid Edge, but I do feel this to be a manufacturing (CAM) requirement.
Our production teams press software takes all of this information from the 3D model files.
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Whilst I tend to agree with Sean I personally would quite like to see a back gauge and front overhang number available in the bend table. However I suspect that the many proprietary variations in CNC bending machines would make this difficult.

Cheers
Mark

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

For SE to do this, you would also need to add sequence numbers to the bends so SE know which bend is bent first, second, third, etc... because sometimes you have multiple bends in a length and the back gage dimension is from another bend, not the edge of the sheet metal.  While I agree this could be handy for simple parts, once you start dealing with compounded bends it adds a layer of complexity that is in the realm of the CAM software's specialty.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

The ability to generate this information when creating a bend table would be pretty slick. Perhaps allow dragging of rows to swap bend order and update the table values for back gauge. 

I'm a one man engineering show and passing responsibility to the next guy means pushing my chair back, spinning in a circle, and then putting my next 'hat' on. Do I want to learn yet ANOTHER software package? No. I want SE to be my manufacturing solution. Does that sometimes mean entirely unrealistic goals for software improvements? Yep! But I think something like this would be a HUGE feather in their cap and go a step towards keeping the sheet metal environment in that #1 midrange spot in my mind. So I'll keep dreaming and pushing, thanks.

-Dylan Gondyke

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@Grundey Just to be clear, focusing only on the bend order aspect, Solid Edge already allows you to specify/reorder the bend order. This is done in the Sheet Metal part when you use the Bend Table feature (tools tab) in that environment (and use move up/down to reorder them -- the balloons renumber automatically ) and then this info retrieved into the bend table in Draft. 

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, and now that you mention that I remember it.  See what happens when you're out of the sheet metal business for 13 years Smiley Surprised

Thanks,
Ken

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@Grundey Believe me Ken, I was sore amazed when it appeared that the Oracle of Pella (if Omaha can have one, why not Pella!) seemed to be out of his depth. Surely not. But the 13 years away explains it. :-) Seriously, you always have so many good tidbits and advice to add around here. Keep it up!

DS

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

You would have to input more than the bend sequence. The software would also need to know what direction each bend is comming from. This would be an additional input that is not currently available.

The real kicker is that some math must be done in the background. Lets say you are creating a bend table for a C shape or channel and that the piece os set in the machine with the existing fold on teh back gage. For the second bend, the back gage dimention would be a dimension from the bend line to the previus bends closest tangent line + Radius + Thickness.

It gets complicated quick. This is why I want it. It costs me forever to do this manually or what I have come to is lots of programming in the draft files.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I think If I had just 10% of the Oracle of Omaha's investing savvy, I would be typing this from my yacht!Smiley LOL

Thanks,
Ken