follow up on dims in sketch question

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

So...the person I work with basically makes overall part sketches. Like a plate with all the features on the one plane. Then makes cuts, holes, etc constraining actual cut/extrude features to the sketch. Ok fine. I personally prefer to do them on the fly when creating the features. In this person's sketch all geometry is dimensionless. I understand in SE you can click on geometry and assign values. However - this does not really lock in relations from feature to feature does it? I have the hardest time editing the part. I move a hole and something else F's up. I think he draws lines between holes sometimes to control distances? But I have changed these values and the holes don't move. He things adding dimensions is a waste of time. I said it can be set up so they come in automatically. You may need to finesse them. By the way is this do-able on st5? I know it works on st7. Probably works way beyond that.

Can I get some feeedback on all this? I am new to SE - coming from Pro/e & SWX. I am used dimensionally constraining. It is frustraing as he** doing the changes.

11 REPLIES

Re: follow up on dims in sketch question

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

OK....I'm a liar apparently. SE does not give me auto dim of placement of for example - a hole. No x and y. In Pro/e it based these dims off your sketch planes as references. Maybe I am not understanding the settings.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

Your coworker should be placing dimensions on the sketch features.  If he doesn't, you get unpredictable results just as you have found.  If the models are being created in the ordered environment, that's really bad practice to leave out dimensions.  Even drawing lines between features won't set their relative distance, it may control their alignment, but that's the job of constraints such as horizontal/vertical.  As far as automatically placing dimensions while sketching, there is an auto dimension toggle button in the dimensioning tab that will place dimensions.  There is also another toggle that will change the color of the sketch elements when they are fully constrained.  I don't really see anything wrong with creating sketches that have all the features in them followed by using the "select from sketch" when creating subsequent features, but leaving them unconstrained is inviting trouble.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Placing dims automatically is turned off/on in Intellisketch options.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Here are the auto dimension and relationship color buttons.Dimensions.JPG

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That autodim dimension icon is only present in ordered profiles. Which makes sense I guess except that there's no harm in auto-dimming in sync AFAIK. Though you still can set it with intellisketch options.

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you everyone. I have faced the fact I work with someone who will not change. It is too stressful working stupid. Time to send out resumes.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If this is the same guy who curses revman and he's your boss then, yeah. And good luck.

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
U got it. Thanks bs!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
He's a dumb arse.