formatting standard part properties

Hello all,

In the past, I have spent days formatting the standard parts database so that generated parts populate our BOM's correctly in draft.

Here is an example of what I do in Standard Parts Administrator.

Is there an easier way to input the desired info for the "Document Number" field?

It would be nice if there was a way to write both the Thread and Nominal Length properties automattically to the Document number field.

Also, where is the any reference material on how to add user created custom parts?

I would like to enter dimensions via spreadsheet.

Thanks,

Greg Patchel
Win 7 SP4 64 Bit
HP Z400 ST7 MP4
16GB RAM 3.2GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 2000

There are two kinds of people, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data...
20 REPLIES

Re: formatting standard part properties

I have created a property for getting lengths into my parts lists, but never for a thread style.

For length this is simple. I use "L" I add a dimension to the part for the overall length and edit it's name to L or edit the extrustion lengh name to L. Then in the same column I display Cut X (flat pattern stuff), or Cut Length (Frame stuff), I also Display L.

If the part contains L, a flat pattern, or is a frame member, my cut 1 column displays that number. I also have a cut 2 column for the cutY from flat patterns.

Ill bet there is a way to do this with threads, but I'm not sure.

[ Edited ]

This is what I try to avoid.

Manual entry, and long update times.

Greg Patchel
Win 7 SP4 64 Bit
HP Z400 ST7 MP4
16GB RAM 3.2GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 2000

There are two kinds of people, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data...

There is another thread about placing the files name into the part number slot with a macro.

I'm suprised that nobody else struggles with formatting properties of standard parts files.

Greg Patchel
Win 7 SP4 64 Bit
HP Z400 ST7 MP4
16GB RAM 3.2GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 2000

I would assume many have problems, but most don't come here talking about it because managers are always applying pressure to get each project finished. 

Greg,

I struggle with it but I avoid the standard parts files whenever possible. I want ultimately to extract the files we need, make a folder for them then ditch the standard parts tool. I don't like it. It's naming structure with all the ANSI referencing is useless to me. Simple description is all I want. In my 30+ year career I have never used nor seen used the ANSI numbering for fasteners. There may be certain sectors that use it but I'd guess it's fairly rare.

And I tried but have no idea how to add custom parts to it.

Also, it would be nice if it indicated which parts you've already generated. It doesn't. 

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

Bshand, and 12GAGE,

I agree wholeheartedly.
I have found how to add our own parts to the standard parts database.
We have had engineers here rename files with revision manager rather then copy them.
Then they end up decimating someone else's design.
Std parts should prevent that as long as the "copy to working folder" box is checked.
Why is that box not checked by default anyway?
Just another head scratcher.

Greg Patchel
Win 7 SP4 64 Bit
HP Z400 ST7 MP4
16GB RAM 3.2GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 2000

If you have a procedure for adding parts to it and are willing to share it I'd appreciate it.

Naturally SE help is useless as is usually the case. It almost never includes workflows, how-tos, step-by-step procedures. It usually tells you what, if anything, but not how or why.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

give me a day or so and I will see what I can come up with.

Need to take some screen shots.

It took me about a year to get the courage to try adding our parts.

Greg Patchel
Win 7 SP4 64 Bit
HP Z400 ST7 MP4
16GB RAM 3.2GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 2000