Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

frame component utility issue, cant and a new bos section (square tubing) .par

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi All

i am trying to add a new size of box section (40x40x3mm) to use in frame generator but when i run the fram component utility macro it just come up with a blank box with an ok button, not the box to create the part.

see attached.

is there another way to do it before i can get intouch with helpdesk on monday?

thanks

Will

9 REPLIES 9

Betreff: frame component utility issue, cant and a new bos section (square tubing) .par

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @ATLAS

interpreting Your picture let me suppose that this is done in sync.

So my recommandation would be, to define any frame profile with  traditional part and one siingle protrusion

with a certain but small length (50mm - 100mm, depending on the profile size)

This IMHO will work as frame profile without any troubles and problems.

Why an extrusion an not only a sketch will You ask?

A small protrsuion will be shown in preview much better than a line base sketch.

So for the usage in a library this thumbnail preview later will help You a lot to see what You are selecting.

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: frame component utility issue, cant and a new bos section (square tubing) .par

Experimenter
Experimenter

doesnt make a difference, there still isnt the correct process taking place, that little box is all you get.

HI @ATLAS

can You upload Your frame part?

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

its not the part, its a problem with st10, it does it no matter what part i try and create

cheers

Hi @ATLAS

nevertheless can You upload an example to see wether or not it will work here for me?

As long as we don't have a file to look into it will be hard to give You an appropriate answer.

regards
Wolfgang

Hi @ATLAS

just recognized a minor info You have given:

"... when I run the Frame Component Utility EXE ... "

Why are You starting this macro?

I do not see any need for it.

Just define YOur frame profile, You can further specify the frame origin and orientation from within the profile/sketch environement

No need to use this old macro.

The better question here might be, why is it there in the frame folder of Solid Edge?

I have not used it for at least 6 years or longer

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

how do you create a new part then for frame generator?

if i just model a part and put it in my folder for steel sections and then try to pick that .par when using frame generator, it doesnt do anything apart from open up file explorer again to choose another .par.

if i choose one of the ones i used in st9 or one of the standard se ones though it will create the frame?

Hi @ATLAS

defining a new part for frames is as mentioned in the first answer.

• Create a part - preferable traditional.
  • Create one single protrusion
  • If You like, You can define the Frame Origin Point and Orientation
    using the function in sketch/profile environement
  • Save it in Your library and 
  • ... that's it!

Nothing more

See an quick an meaningless example of an triangle profile for frames

regards
Wolfgang
Highlighted

and here an image where I used that profile in an assembly for frames

20170902_2051.PNG

You can see, that the profile is positioned at the given profile base point (top corner) rather than at the center of area for that profile, what would be the case if there is no base point definition.

What IMHO is the better methd anyway

regards
Wolfgang