frame profile issues

[ Edited ]

hey guys, im trying to make a custom frame profile

this is what ive got so far.

frame profile.PNG

i saved it in the correct location.

However, when i try to place the frame on my sketch i get this error

Capture4.PNG

after i click yes, not a lot happens, its still in the command but it doesnt apply the profile.

it will then apply a plane at the beginning of my frame sketch without the profile 

ive tried restarting solid edge

ive tried renaming the profile file

ive saved the assembly

not sure what to do!

any suggestion would be grately apprciated 

thanks

6 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author precisionmounting
‎12-09-2016 12:02 PM

Re: frame profile issues

Not as simple as just creating a part file and sticking it in a folder.  There is some Frame specific processes that must be performed to make it a "Frame Component".  See this Help Page:  https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/109/se_help#uid:index_se_applications:xid287449:fram...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Betreff: frame profile issues

Hi @precisionmounting

maybe You can upload Your frame part to let us see exactly what's going on.

regards
Wolfgang

Thanks for the heads up.

You tube failed me Smiley Happy you tube told me it really was as simple as throwing it in the folder.

after i defined the origin point and orientation line it worked perfectly. 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. much appreciated.

Ok guys, ive stumbled onto another problem.

Capture.PNG

so ive located my frame onto the part

ive saved each section of frame under their corrct names/paths 

but i now need to add mounting holes through the extrusion (the holes are located on the other parts, so ill be referencing the hole positions from the other parts of the assembly)

can i do this while its still a frame?

i did a work around earlier by saving the frame as an assembly then deleting the frame in my assembly 

then i added in the save frame assembly and dispersing the parts into my main assembly,

while this works its seem a some what redundant process.

Is there a way of dispersing the frame straight into the assembly without having to save it as its own assembly first?

or is ther an easy way to cut holes through the frame parts?

You can use assembly features to cut the frame parts.  If you need to save them out to their own part files for further use (CNC, FEA, etc...), use the "Save Selected Model" command from within the assembly containing the frame and select the frame component to be saved.  It will save it out as an associative part copy of the frame component which will update from the frame model in the assembly when future changes are made.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

once again youve saved the day!

it looks like i was doing it in the wrong order. i was saving the part before i added the assembly feature cut. 

after i made the hole first, i then saved the part and opened the part with the holes.

THANKYOU!