Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

from sketch to a feature part

Builder
Builder

School time for me.  I cannot get this one figured out or be able to bridge the gaps.  I need someone that knows the program really well becuase I think that this is part programming and part engineering. 

Here is what I want to do.

We have several parts that are setup as a feature and stored into a feature libraryor folder on our network tree.

I have alot of cutout sketches that I can copy from and paste into another sketch on a sheetmetal to make a cutout or create a cutout by iteself.  That's the easy part.

Some of the items are "programmed" to automatically preform the cutout, but just need the correct plane to preform the cutout.  Thats where I need to make the item go from sketch to cutout. 

The link to the video will help explain what I want to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyhNJXxHm30

I know that both methods are correct, but I want to further develope my skills, plus it looks cooler and less clicking around.

Smiley Happy

Thank you

8 REPLIES

Betreff: from sketch to a feature part

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Lex-luthor

OK, I must confess, that probably I have not understand You yet completely, but the first I can recomment is, to try it as sync.

One big advantage with  Sync is, that You can use siple sketch profiles in the same way as features for the feature library.

What my question to You is, what is the reason for using sketches rather than features?

regards
Wolfgang

Re: from sketch to a feature part

Phenom
Phenom

If I understand you correctly, what you need to do is create your cutout by copy/paste of the profile as normally you would. Then make your cutout. When you are done, click on that feature in the design tree. Then on the left under "Feature Library" there is a green + sign. Click it and save your cutout to the feature library.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Hi @nominus38

what I have seen in @Lex-luthor video is, that for the first method he already is using a feature from library.

But what I have understood was, that there should be somehow something simlar with a sketch too.

regards
Wolfgang

Builder
Builder

@nominus38

OMG!  You have it figured out!

I followed it and it worked like a charm. 

I have asked several people here and they told me that someone else had done it for them. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Builder
Builder

@hawcad

Ya, there is several items that I have used that are in the feature library.  I just could not figure out how to create those items in the feature library.  It makes it easier for another user to drag, drop and place only the dims needed to contrain the cutout rather than try to construct the cutout from scratch.

Hi @Lex-luthor

I never thought that this might be the question.

But thanks @nominus38 YOu have got it!

regards
Wolfgang

One thing to keep in mind is that features are history and sync specific so you either have to save two versions of each feature or I suppose if you're in sync you can switch to ordered, put in the history mode feature, and then move it to sync. And if you never use the other mode this is not an issue.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Builder
Builder

@bshand

Ill be on the look out for that, thank you for the information.