Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

graphic 3D representation is always a few fractions of a second behind

Genius
Genius

Hi all,

I feel that the graphic realtime representation modification is not smooth. Any ideas? Does the graphic card need any adjustment or is not suited for this CAD software?

The graphic 3D representation of the resulting modification, caused by mouse movement, is always a few fractions of a second behind the mouse. This is observed even with very simple actions like extruding a sole circle into a cylinder.

The computer is a 2 CPU workstation with 2x4cores a 3.5 Mhz and 128Gb RAM running Windows 10pro 64bit.

The graphic adapter is a NVidia GeForce GTX 660 with 2Gb GDDR5 video-memory on the adapter, 192-Bit memory bandwidth  and 144GB/s memory data rate.

It has  Direct3D-API-Version 12, Direct3D-function 11_0, 960 CUDA-cores, 993Mhz graphic-cycle,

The graphics card is tuned to balance between quality and performance.

best regards

Hans

19 REPLIES

Re: graphic 3D representation is always a few fractions of a second behind

Phenom
Phenom

I would have saved money in less RAM (really 128Gb ?) and spent them for a Quadro card.

GeForce cards are made for gaming where there is other aspect to privilege over graphic precision.

Genius
Genius

Thank You for commenting.

The workstation was used for FE-modeling with huge models before. So there were different requirements when it had been compiled some years ago.

Ok, I understand that You suggest the delays are caused by insufficient power of the graphics adapter and cannot be cured by adjustments. What is the bottleneck of the current graphic adapter? What should be the minimum capacities of an exchange graphic adapter?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

There is no such thing as an overpowered graphics card. 

But you can spend more than is justified. I currently can't recommend anything under an M8000 Nvidia.

Genius
Genius

No question the Geforce is a quite cheap graphics adapter and other cards are more powerful. But a 3D visualisation of an extruding sole cylinder doesn't seem to me a demanding task.

Do You think, that this might be visibly delayed into a jerky reaction by a Geforce 660GTX graphics or should the system checked for other causes?

Are there may be 3D capabilities or other special capabilities used by solid edge blocked at the Geforce660GTX (severly slowing down any 3D rendering) which are available to the Quadro causing a huge jump forward in performance?

By the way I didn't find a NVidia M8000 at the NVidia Website. It ends at M6000 at the older ones and K6000 at the recent products.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Hans11

when using a Gforce then - and there are many post regarding this - there is a big issue in setting the driver and driver options good and better to fullfill the graphcis requirements of a CAD program.

Just look into the graphics card setting wether or not the gforce is used by SE.

Then take a look into the graphics options of SE what settings there will be used.

I have seen many gforce users, which had problems before and used the computer happy afterwards.

Nevertheless spending money for an adequate graphics card always is the best You can do.

There was a post before claiming that nothing under M8000 should be used.

There are new Quadro cards available from the Pxxxx series, which boost the graphics really and also are used for number crunching with FE software (FEMAP)

Take this for the next computer and look for a P4000 or P5000

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Also note that for the most part SE only runs on a single core.  there are some multi core process in drafting, but for modeling...  your extra core just sits... 

its best to punch up clock speed....

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Genius
Genius

I guess 3.5 Ghz for the XEON CPUs is not really slow.

But I tried just to zoom in and out into the 3D visualisation. I observerd once core of the CPU is running at full speed and 100%.

Will a Quadro model of the graphic adapter take over much of the processing load from the CPU?

Genius
Genius

I googled for SE using consumer Geforce graphics seem to have strong performance problems. The 680GTX was more than 30times slower than a basic Quadro.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

There was a recent thread on this. What is your Options --> View  setting for the Graphics Card -- Set to Advanced? Or something else?

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development