has solidedge something similar

Has solidedge something similar to autodesk inventor Ilogic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx2Qi_yCVSk&t=1233s

This really lloks awsome to create templates.

Tiago
47 REPLIES

Re: has solidedge simething simillar

Phenom
Phenom

Not that I have found, no. This is one of the areas I feel another software has outdone Edge. Inventor is also great how they allow you to simply type the variable you want to match into the dimension you are placing, i.e. "d1" , and also how they can do the file properties, like for instance in the Title field you can just type "=Material" or whatever and that field will be populated with whatever you told it to.

These are the reasons that Inventor is my 2nd favorite software to use.

I still prefer Edge over all, especially for the sheet metal enviornment which is unmatched.

But no, I haven't found any equivalent to iLogic, which I do use in Inventor just like you say, it automatically sets up everything I need when creating parts.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Genius
Genius

If I understand correctly, you're looking to adjust the size of an assembly, and have your parts adjust accordingly?

I design numerous projects that work in this manner, and it's all driven off of a sketch.

Re: has solidedge something simillar

Inventor looks awsome to create templates. General modeling i would say that are quite similar, don't know but maybe solidedge Surfacing looks a bit better.

Solidedge looks prety outdated, to create family of parts. Really looks old and unaceptable. I have lots of parts that are familes (gas springs for example) that can have around 1000 family members. I will die creating those family members one by one, Other cad competitors use excel to create the families, don't know why SE is unable to do it...

Tiago

No really. Ilogic can be seen like a macro that acts without the user. Every time a condition is reached that macro executes. It can also makes a special interface to each standard component.
One interesting example that I saw, is when the user press the save button, automatically generates the bounding box.
Tiago

Re: has solidedge something simillar

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

@TiagoFigueiredo You don't need Excel to drive you family of parts.  Solid Edge has a built-in table view (spreadsheet) in the Family of Parts tab.  From the table view, you can create new members, edit design intent, suppress relationships and features, alter variables.  Pretty much change everything about the part from with the table.  There is no reason to depend on a 3rd party application.

Phenom
Phenom

@TiagoFigueiredoI personally think you may be a bit mistaken on some of your opinion here. Though I do agree that something like iLogic would be very useful, in other ways I think you don't see why Edge is superior. Firstly, one of the main things I have iLogic programmed to do is upon every save it takes the filename without the extention, and writes that to the document number field in iProperties. This is extremely helpful. In inventor. But that is because it has to be. In edge, don't need to run a macro that ensures the document number matches my filename. Because I just go around that in the first place and have my drawings and B.O.M. refer to the filename without extension, no automation needed.

And what about how sheet metal is handled? Firstly, Inventor is a mess when it comes to the sheet metal styles crap. All that stuff going on that must be set up for your part, and there isn't even a way to have it linked so that you can show it in the B.O.M. what the Metal Gage is? For inventor, to save time and effort and have my title blocks and b.o.m. call out the gage thickness, I have templates set up for all sheet metal gages, and material types. I have 12ga HRS, 12ga 304SS, 12ga Galvanized, 12ga Galvanealed. These are just my 12ga templates. But then, if my design changes and I have to move to 10ga material, I can go in and change the Sheet metal styles, and then......my title block and B.O.M. still call it out as 12ga because nothing was linked to those sheet metal styles they insist we use to define our sheet metal properties. This is injecting human error into what is already a headache to use.

Then, lets look at "Normal Cutout". FIrstly, it wasn't until a couple years ago they finally added normal cuts. When I found out they did, I got super excited. I'd no longer need to use the thicken workaround! But lo and behold, every time I've actually gone to use normal cutout, guess what? It didn't work. It failed. And we aren't talking about anything that complicated either.

THen, why the heck do I have to project everything to sketch in order to dimension to it? I should be able to throw a dimension on to an existing edge or otherwise constrain to it, without having to project that edge in my sketch and then also make it a construction since it's not actually part of my feature.

As I was saying, I agree about iLogic. Really, all of the main 3d modeling softwares do some things pretty well. Each has at least one area which currently outshines the competition. However I believe your assessment about Edge being unacceptable in particular areas to be grossly misinformed and completely biased as you are not seeing Inventors very obvious shortcomings.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I make all of my sheet metal box's re-sizable.

I start with assembly planes. And use the assembly planes to drive sheet metal tab and flange sketches.

After the first two parts of a sheet metal box, the rest of the parts are driven by the edges of the first few parts.

In this way, all of the part automatically re-size from another other changes like gage or overall size.

If I move one plane, all of the parts re-size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCtM7S6-4f4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v83IhzyjeLk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_FPHJSDIW8

Here are some movies that show models driven from planes. However the movies were made to show details of how I set up bending tables for sheet metal.

Phenom
Phenom

@12GAGEI believe somewhere up top somebody got confused and thought this question had something to do with resizable assemblies and all. But really he's asking about the iLogic feature in Inventor. iLogic is kind of a tool built in to Inventor that helps you write  your own macros and has them triggered by rules you set up. I just felt the need to clarify that for anyone who might not know about that

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Not really, that is a example of what can be done. The fact of adjusting the size is consequence of the macro predefined.
Tiago