header design

I have another question for you guys.
I want to be able to design headers and I haven't found a good way to do it.

In Solidworks I would have used 3D sketching but I haven't found any good info on how to accomplish something similar in Solidedge. I have figured out how to use splines off plane but the main issue is that for tubing you have fixed radius curves so it would be best to use something like an arc where you can define a radius.

Is there any way to do all out 3D sketching?

Are there other methods to accomplish what I want?
Here is an example of a more complex header. If I was able to modle this one I would be able to do just about anything I could think of.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j51/projectbc/jgtc1947.jpg

11 REPLIES

Re: header design

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

This would get you there....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwYsAcjWRfE 

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

I tried playing with that but had a very hard time getting from point a to point b.

Is this really the easiest way to do this? Is it challenging just because I am still retarded with the steering wheel?

For example. I know where I want the header manifold and I know where I want the collector manifold so it makes the most sense for me to draw those first.

Then I start extruding from the header flange working my way towards the collector flange.

How do I then tie it into the collector flange? Then making it look good is a whole other problem for me.

Okay here is an example. I made it two cylinders to make it simple. Even figuring out how to route just one would be helpful.

Are there other easy methods other than the method shown in that video?

If I were to use that method then how would I connect the pipe at both ends? Is there a joining method that would ensure I am concentirc to the bore and perpindicular to the flange?

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

Would a cross curve be helpful?  You can draw the path for each primary tube the X and Y planes then use the cross curve tool to define the 3D path.  Finally you can use a profile an the 3D path to sweep a tube.  The main issue with this method is that SE is going to determine the curve radii when it creates the cross curve.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Thanks for the input. It seems like keypoint curves would be easier though admittedly I haven't figured out how to pull off a swept solid or surface with it yet with a keypoint curve. Always tells me it will be self intersecting or non manifold.

It really seems like there should be an easy way to do this.
Is 3D sketching really just nonexistant in SE?
I have read just about as much but just can't bring myself to believe it.

If using the steering wheel in synchronous really is the way to go then what's the best way to get from point a to point b?

Okay I got it to follow from point a to point b with a multiple cross section swept surface.
This will work okay for prototyping and visual reference but still lacks defined fixed radius curves.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Attached is a sketch driven part (ordered) showing a workflow I sometimes use for mandrell bent tubes to control bend radius and tangent length. At the end of each bend segment I add a plane normal to curve to place a "turn angle" sketch on and this turn angle sketch allows me create a three point plane on which I make a sketch defining the next bend segment.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Had not modeled in a while and this looked like a fun challenge.

I looked at this as an ASM problem and used construction components and relationships to define the paths. Then I built the tubes around the constructions.

Header03.1.jpg

Here are the paths segments.

Links.JPG

I can edit the resultant tubes using sync to modify these components directly from the ASM.

This is all assoc and does update on edit.

Thanks,

Art

Mike I had been wondering how to do this with planes but couldn't find an easy way.
Your method is not the fastest but is the best I have played with so far. Thanks for the suggestion.