Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

holes and patterns in a circle

Builder
Builder

I have tried many things and still learning the new things. 

This one is a little diffrent since it is not a flat and even line,  LOL

What I am tryting to do is make it simplier by using a pattern for the 3mm hole that is around the inner circumference of the wheel at 0.25 inch from the edge.

Thats the fuzzy part for me.  I tried to use the pattern function, but I think that I am using it incorrectly because I got 11 wheels around the 3mm hole.

I know I am missing a step somewhere.

If you're curious of what this is going to be, it is part of a home project that I am building of an overbalanced wheel.  using nothing but wire, wood, nuts and bolts. 

Any all all help would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES

Re: holes and patterns in a circle

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Lex-luthor,

You must've had too many items in the selection &/or the selection filter set to body, and the center of the circular pattern in the wrong spot.....or something like that, to have thrown you off like that.

I've recorded a small video of what I did to your part file, which is also attached......hope that helps.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Lex-luthor Well I guess you are doing the select items step wrong. As you click on the pattern command it straight away asks you for the item selsction that is items you want to pattern. So maybe in this step you end up selecting the disc and not the hole. Multiple items can be selected while holding Ctrl. The second step of circular pattern is to select the axi about which the pattern will be made. The third step is to enter the angle or number of instances. @SeanCresswell has done it correctly and you can see the steps by : right click the pattern step ::Smiley Embarassed right click edit definition:::Smiley Embarassed and then you can see the steps

Betreff: holes and patterns in a circle

Hi @Lex-luthor

best solution heer as aleady shown by @SeanCresswell is using the pattern feature for multiplying the number of holes by a regular base.

But let me add one additional note to what I have seen in Your part:

If You do not need a higher number of hole occurences, I personaly  also like to use construction geometry within the hole feature.

So let me say, if I only need 3, 4 or, ok, 5 instances of a hole with a basic geomettrical arrengment, then YOu also can draw any geometry within Your hole sketch to put the holes onto that end points, mid points, etc.Be aware, that any geometry You draw within a hole feature, automatically get a "Construction" type, only the holes itself are feature type.

I think this is the much easier approach to get Your hole positionis in place than dimension every single hole to get it there. Easier, faster and more robust.

Here is a short video about:

(view in My Videos)

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: holes and patterns in a circle

Builder
Builder

@hawcad

Thank you for that extra infomation.  I'll be sure to jot those down.

Builder
Builder

@SeanCresswell

You da man.  I tried a couple of times and seen where I had goofed.  I forgot about the first step, but what I should have done was press ESC a few times to clear out all of the commands and then selected the hole and go from there. 

This will help out tremendously.

Thank you all for your input.

No problem @Lex-luthor, glad to help.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000