how to bend a flat spring in the assembly?

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I have this part that is a flat spring, it is screwed in one side and the other fits in another element, and it makes the flat spring bend.

flat_spring.png

The spring should be like the element number 4 in this assembly from autocad:

assembly.png

I'll appreciate any suggestion!

thanks!

Bruna

20 REPLIES

Re: how to bend a flat spring in the assembly?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

My first thought would be to create your part using a very large radius and extrude a surface to create a flat surface for your plate spring.  Thicken the surface and shape as required.  This would then give the appearance that the part is flat in its normal state.  

In the part file make the part adjustable and define the radi variable as adjustable.  

In your assembly I believe you should then be able to give the part the bend required to place the plate in the tension position.

Guy

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP9

Creator
Creator
Thanks Guy!

I made the part from an enormous radius... Can you help me make it an adjustable part? I know how to make it with regular springs, but with this one I can't figure out...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Seems pretty easy. Look at this part and assembly.

Edit: The variable "RADIUS" in the part drives the sketch arc and is the adjustable variable making the adustable part. The sketch drives a protrusion.

The variable "RADIUS" in the assembly drives the adjustable part.

Edit2: This method only affects the spring, it is not interactive with the assembly except for the assembly variable, so one would have to adust it visually until it "fit". Perhaps one could add a variable representing the amount of deflection required which could be used to drive the radius variable.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Capture1.JPG

I think I would,
1) determine the radius of the bend shown on item 4.
2) determine the center of the radius based on the intersection of items 4 & 5, than 4 & 3( CL = x1+(x2/2)).

Capture.JPG
3) create bend on part using using the bend command.

While in the options of the bend command change your radius to that of the part.

Capture.JPG

Nathan M. Gardner

https://www.etsy.com/people/NathanMGardner

Be sure to check out my work!!
Made in Maine Wood Carvings

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
sorry my pics are not in order
Nathan M. Gardner

https://www.etsy.com/people/NathanMGardner

Be sure to check out my work!!
Made in Maine Wood Carvings

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

Do you need the curved representation for the assembly and the flat state for a drawing?  If so, you might try a contour flange and create a family of parts where you have one member in the bent state and one in the flat state.  I did something like this for a bumper I created a few months ago that had a living hinge.  If you search for "bumper" you'll find my post.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@kjoiner, It seems to me if it's an adjustable part the flat state is inherent and the curved state is only in the assembly if you choose to use it.

Bruce Shand

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

@bshand - so for the adjustable concept, would you pick some measurement points to drive the amount of bend in the spring based on where it is installed?  That sounds like a pretty cool way to mimic the real world installation.  Maybe a variable related to the chord distance of the arc?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@kjoiner, Something like that or just use the deflection distance and the arc radius. Which might lead you to a chord anyway. My adjustable part changes deflection based on arc radius so that should be doable. Not having the time, I haven't thought it out. @Brunapz didn't say if he wanted it automated or just a visual adjustment would be ok. @ngardner's method might be automagic and I just don't see how.

Edit: @kjoiner, and what I said earlier about the flat being inherent isn't really true because it's an arc. (so you can take back the kudo). Although if you make the radius big enough it doesn't really matter.

Bruce Shand