Solved! Go to solution

how to put a setback on hem?

[ Edited ]

I am trying to put a hem on only a portion of an edge in ordered mode.  To specify a setback from either end of the edge seems logical to me, but I cannot see how to do this in the hem command.  I tried making a sketch with a line on the edge, but the hem command only allows selecting an edge and the whole edge.

Has anyone made a hem that does not go to the full extents of the edge line?

Thank you

edit: for now I'm just doing a normal cutout from the end of the hem but that works poorly as there is no bend relief.

5 REPLIES

Re: how to put a setback on hem?

Do you need there to be no bend relief? I would just put 2 small cutouts at where I wanted the hem to start/stop and then select the resulting edge between them.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

@nominus38,

I would like a relief, and I like your suggestion as a work around.  I was hoping a tiny notch would provide the edge I wanted and the hem feature would put a relief in that would consume the notch.  Not so, the bend locaiton selection must be "bend outside" or the feature fails.  So I'm back to manually drawing the relief, not the end of the world and better than my idea of hem, cut hem, add relief.

After reconsidering I can survive with a flange (feature comes with option to edit profile) that is bent to 180 degree.  Which isn't possible with SE and the angle is measured backwards so 1deg input gives a 179 degree bend.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author bnemec
‎07-14-2017 04:32 PM

Well, what about doing it as a contour flange? Like using a very small radius'd arc connected to that edge, which is then connected to another straight line making the hem? Pretty sure this would work, but don't quote me on that I haven't had to mess with doing a hem in quite awhile. But I'm pretty sure you could use contour flange and have it 180° as long as you use a radius between.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

I like this the best as it gives the best options IMO. I just needed to change the way I was thinking about it.

What I do for that case is use the add bend command. I add a line the setback distance, then use that line for the add bend command. The bend will be 180 deg. Then set the R to 0 (reality very small).