how to unbend the tube ?

Genius
Genius

Hello,

Just wondering if there is an option in SE to calculate to proper length for unbended tube.

I mean, I designed the tube which is bended already and I want to get the proper dims for manufacturing and further bending the tube.

Thank yotube.png

Production: SE ST9 MP10
6 REPLIES

Re: how to unbend the tube ?

Phenom
Phenom

If you create the tube using Frames or XpresRoute you can get the length of the tube

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Genius
Genius
Thank you for a quick response.

No, its been done using part mode.

Regards,

Arek

Production: SE ST9 MP10

Phenom
Phenom

Then there is no direct way.

Some calculation will be required or you could use the measure command to try and create a variable from measuring the total length of the centre line elements.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
Yes, Frames and XpressRoute give you the centerline length of the tube. To get tube cut length, you will need to calculate the plastic deformation of each bend based on your bending process. The calculation is very similar to flattening sheet metal. In fact, for the example here you could probably model it as a square bar in sheet metal, adjust the bend formula & neutral factor to fake a flat pattern. Flat square bars and flat round bars look a lot alike on a drawing. Smiley Happy

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @beachcomber

there might be also another way to get it.

You can have a variable calculating the Volume / Area (cross section)

Both can be read out directly from the model and so any change of the model will be reflected in the Length = Volume / Area variable

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

The volume to length thing does not account for stretching, that assumes K=0.5. He will need to find out the K factor for the tubes on his tooling to have a chance at getting it right. Then use the square version (insribed and excribed) to start laying it out. Then combine the two for a manual layout. Not fun, but can get it done right.