Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: insert assembly copy is not supported in family of assembly files

Pioneer
Pioneer

the thing is that part1 is the most complex part and I can not afford to make 2 individual parts for each form it has to be one file what looks one way take individually and in assembly 1 but is different in assembly 2

I will try to upload some images if time permits tommorow thanks for the attention until now

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

As to why the "Apply edits to all members" may be "uncheckable".  In place editing of an Alternate Assembly (Family of Assembly) member does not allow access to the other members and thus that control is disabled.  You have to always use Open if you wish to edit all members.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Pioneer
Pioneer

I've attached some pictures of an example ... here I eddited the part1 to show how I would like it to look in Assembly2 without being changed in Assembly1 or part1

mind you all the stages (Assembly2, Assembly1 and part1) will have drawings 

the difference is small ... the only thing that changes is the shape of the pin ... if it where a removeal of material I could have done it in the assembly ... but it's a combination of removal and adding (the pin is being riveted in real life)

the only way I see this possible is

- Make 2 fiels for part1: one riveted and the other unriveted

-- the unriveted one for the drawing

-- and the riveted one that I use for the next assembly (would be a partcopy so at least I have them linked)

- Then I need two files for Assembly1

-- one with the unriveted plate for the drawing

-- and the other riveted that I will use for Assembly2

does anyone see any easier way to do this ?

Phenom
Phenom

Could you model the rivet/riveted pin as a part in its own right and have an assembly with the base plate part assembled with the rivet? You can then do any assembly cuts you want to simulate the deformation.

Edit: Then you can easily have separate drawings for the fabrication of the part, plus instrucions on the riveting procedure in the asm drwg.

Pioneer
Pioneer
not sure I get how that helps ... cause the rivet still has to change shape in the last stage assembly (Assembly2) and that will make is change in the original one as well

The rivet wouldn't be a part in Assembly2 it would be in the deepest level

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

There is an 'adjustable part' command in Solid Edge which is very useful to show a deformed component when inserted in assembly (example: the same spring (one *.par file) stretched or compressed). This might be useful for your rivets.