interpart ghost

Sometimes when I start new parts a "ghost" image of another open part appears when I hover the cursor over the base planes?

Does anyone know what is happening, and if it is meant to be?

13 REPLIES

Re: interpart ghost

[ Edited ]

Yes, it means your PC is haunted. Call the w[IT]ch doctor.

But really now, offhand it sounds like a graphics driver issue. So, this ghost part is actually open in another window? Pretty weird.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

has this gone away after a reboot?

i assume somethign stuck in a graphic card cache or the like.???

Thanks for your input, I agree it must be something to do with the graphics but ASFAIK all the drivers are up to date. I was hoping someone might know what it was so I could avoid doing it in future.

A bit more detail if you are interested:

It always goes after a system reboot.

It sometimes goes away after closing and restarting SE.

I can discern no pattern in when it occurs - sometimes several times a day, sometimes none - sometimes assemblies with the ghost, sometimes parts have the ghost - sometimes assemblies are the ghost, sometimes parts are.

In fact I think the only thing I haven't seen is it appearing in Draft/being an appearance of draft(but then I don't spend that much time in draft at the moment anyway).

is the ghosted part always the same part.

How about testing a different template.

No it is not always the same part.

I have seen it be:

1) very simple parts (like a plain cylinder),

2) complicated parts (equation driven swept surfaces)

3) small simple assemblies (half a dozen simple parts)

4) small but more complicated assemblies (adjustable sub-assemblies & more convoluted parts) <100 parts total still though.

What sort of graphics card is it?

On board, one intended for cad, one intended for gaming?

Bruce Shand

It is onboard, I was witholding that information in case anyone had any other suggestions - upgrading might be a hard sell for me here (I don't hold the purse strings).

I would like to say I have a normally acceptable experience, but it would be a lie. I have a lot of restarts, and a surprising amount of trouble simply selecting things on screen.

Anyway, to give you all the details I have easily to hand:

HD4600 graphics

Core i7-4790

8 Gb ram

win 7

[ Edited ]

A quick web search review of that graphics setup with cad wasn't promising. The rest of your system is decent.

I don't know, even a couple/few hundred bucks would be an improvement.

They're paying you to waste time with the problems you're having. I'm not saying that's definitively the cause but you should eliminate it as a possibility IMO.

Bruce Shand

Under Solid Edge Options - View tab - Application Display, remove the Automatic Selection check mark and try changing the various options from the list just below it, restarting Solid Edge if required, each time. It is a shot in the dark but just might work.