Betreff: lmtools and using groups

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Dang!

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @uk_dave

sorry, this info was not recognized by me.

And as I have seen, tha MAX entry is not supported, isn't it?

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Correct.  We have some Mfg Eng folks who access SE and we login from several different conference logins so each of those would need to be added.

Is there any "priority" feature that SE can take advantage of?  Where or how does one know which FLEX options are supported or not?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@hawcad I personally have not tested the MAX option.  However, I can find nothing in our system indicating that MAX should not work.  I have also dinged some of my colleagues and we are all of the opinion that MAX should work.

At this time it should be fairly easy for @MikeSaari to test the MAX option.  If it doesn't work then we can work on addressing it further at that time.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@MikeSaari  Best way to do this is...

• No one group owns the licenses, the company does.
  • Keep your license count high enough that it can accomidate peak usage.
  • If you start hitting your limit, buy additional license to add to the pool.

We run both Solid Edge and AutoCAD this way.  AutoCAD supports the TIMEOUT feature which helps tremendously, wish SE would... I have an ER for that.  We use OpenLM to monitor our flex license for both apps which keeps historical max usage and denials to determine when we need to look into new licenses.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Phenom
Phenom

@KennyG Just out of curiosity, can you say how many seats of SE and AutoCAD you manage?

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Siemens Phenom

Just a follow up and I think [hope] closure on this, we [myself and another GTAC colleague] have tested the MAX option and it appears to be working as expected.

We have two floating licenses, we add both our names to a group, then limited the group to only one license in MAX.  Then only one of us could run Solid Edge at a time.  As soon as one user exited Solid Edge, then the other user was able to then start Solid Edge.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks.  Could you publish the exact syntx you used?  I just want to verify that what we had been using was correct.  Somewhere along the line we removed the MAX option and went with RESERVE.  As we've found out, RESERVE has it's problems, especially when the guys in the toolroom start 3 to 4 hours before the engineering dept...allows them to grab extra licenses that they need to let go once design engineers arrive.

This is what we were using at one time - prior to using the RESERVE option.

NOLOG UNSUPPORTED

MAX 2 solidedgeclassic USER toolroom

MAX 1 solidedgeclassic USER cpfrank

I'm thinking of going back to using MAX, but change USER to GROUP and have it be:

NOLOG UNSUPPORTED

MAX 3 solidedgeclassic GROUP toolrm

Highlighted

Siemens Phenom

This is what we had in our options file:

GROUP GTAC santurde merritt
MAX 1 solidedge GROUP GTAC

I will state the we originally tried testing users instead of groups and it did not seem to work as well.  We did not spend any time debugging it and simply switched to testing groups at which point it started working as expected/desired.

This was all on ST10.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for you assistance!!