locating adjustable assembly in an assembly that will be used as adjustable

Scenario in a nutshell: I have an assembly that will be used as an adjustable that contains adjustable assembly(ies).  So multiple layers of adjustable assemblies. 

Goal: I want to locate a part of an adjustable assembly so that it does not move. This is important for the drafts as I do not want the parts moving freely about the drawing views.

Problem: I cannot relate anything to base planes because that will cause failures in parent assemblies.  I have tried grounding a component of the sub assembly, but that ground always fails.  Only thing I can think of is a hack work around of a part that can be grounded and then relate the static part of the adjustable assembly to it.  There must be a better way.

Question: How do I locate a portion of an adjustable assembly in an assembly that will be used as adjustable?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES

Re: locating adjustable assembly in an assembly that will be used as adjustable

are you asking how to grong the part within the sub assy or how to mate the sub assy within the top level assy.

Be advised that ground relationships within the Sub are ignored when assys are made adjustable...

Can you add a screenshot or nore description?

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

@MattJohnson_PG

Ground a part within the sub assembly.  Only reason to do this is to keep some level of predictability in the drawing views on the 2D print.  Relations in the top level are not usually a problem unless someone put relations to base planes in the adjustable sub.

Yes, the only good thing about the ground relation is that it's not promoted to the parent assembly.  So it can locate a portion of an adjustable assembly without mucking up any parent assemblies. 

Note: We have a bunch of "magical assemblies" that were put together with drafters from another era using all ground relations so grounds are a touchy subject for me.

I'll have to mock up an example assembly, I cannot share ours and didn't find an example that did justice.

@bnemec

BE advised that in ST9 (maybe ST8???) you can fully constrain at the sub assy level and then in the top level you can "Override Relationship"

this might solve your issue 

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Just looked and found this. Mind BLOWN! ST6 (our last update) did not have this. Might be the best solution. Must do some testing.

So is it true that one cannot ground a component of an adjustable assembly? Or was I doing something wrong?

it will stay grounded at the sub level ...  should nto be an issue for the drawing of the sub...

but teh ground will be ignored once plaed as adjustable.

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.6