manipulations with more planes : x axis , y axis, z axis as one part

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi everyone,

I am looking for videos/tutorials - manipulations with more planes : x axis , y axis, z axis. 

Where I can create something without assembling. 

Like example : when we work on sweep, as this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiIQQVUIHKA

Something with more planes in sheet metal 

or sketches as one product where I want to add if I work in X axis , I want to be on other side of product with y axis plane : how do I now add that axis, I know that in solidworks but it is not same as in Solid Edge?

Any videos similar with this different axis x, y, z as one part  - recommend please.

Thanks,

6 REPLIES

Re: manipulations with more planes : x axis , y axis, z axis as one part

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Here is the trick for sheet metal and planes.

Step 1. Start an assembly. Offset the base planes, Call them X Y Z. 

Note X is offset on the X axis from the YZ plane, etc....

Step 2. Start a piece of sheet metal inside the assembly, ordered. Turn off the Part planes, start a sketch on the assembly plane. Create the sketch by including the four perpendicular planes that maintain relations. Turn the four include lines into a box. Turn the rectagle into a tab. 

When you move plane, the tab will change size.

This vid shows how I create a sheet metal tank from scratch to a model that is driven by planes. I even show how it breaks down and  how to recover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBIrrNj8cOk

Add a flange to the tab. Remove the dimension for the flange length and relate the end of the flange to another plane.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Why start with an assembly?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Jasmin_power  If you are referring to the x-axis as defined when you create a new plane or define a sketch pay attention to the promptbar at the bottom of the screen. It shows you how to control the plane orientation.

If that's not your issue then I don't know.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I want a single plane controlling many parts. An assembly plane is the way I get that done.

The other option would be to have base planes and XYZ planes in every part, and use links to keep them all the same.  I try to keep it as simple as I can.

In this way I have one source or controller.....the assembly plane

I link sketched to that plane when I can, however many edges are linked to the other pieces of sheet metal  in a way that I can change the gage of every part, and it still keeps the design intent in tact. 

I can size and gage the parts all I like. And it keeps on working.

Where this really comes into play is when the draft is involved. The draft a automatically updates!

Pioneer
Pioneer

THANKS

Pioneer
Pioneer

THANK YOU