merging sheet metals

Hi all

I will be glad if someone wil help me with a problam in merging to sheet metals to one body.

the first sheet has a flat surf anthe other has a curved surf .

I have been tried some solutions like extend or extuded options but it still not merged to one body( one color for both sheets)

my example is uploded in this messege 

thanks alot!!

6 REPLIES

Re: merging sheet metals

Hi David,

You're probably better off posting this in the Student Edition forum [given the file type].....so those that have access to that version can offer assistance, as this file cannot be opened in the commercial version.

I'll take a look [unless another Edge-head helps first] when I get finish work later today.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

hi sean if it helpes i'm adding two photos that i think that discribe the problem...

thank you!

Dear David,

From your pictures I guess that you are trying to make an assembly. Your pictures show a curved sheet metal part and what looks like some sort of handle. You simply cannot do this in a sheet metal part. This is because the sheet metal part has to be a contiguous, constant thickness, single body. A sheet metal part is defined by the manufacturing process - bent or rolled in a single plane.

To achieve what you want you can either make an assembly of the two parts (one sheet metal and the other the handle part) or model it as a single part file.

Cheers

Mark

[ Edited ]

Yes, that helps.....the step you need here is called "Switch to Part" to create the [because this is not a typical sheet metal designed item...but not impossible either] handle, then switch back when/if needed. I have also attached a file showing the result.

[Updated file to be the same way round as yours..... Robot Embarassed]

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Hi sean thank you for your replay , but the solution that you gave is not what i wish to so , i want to merge between the round surf of the sheet metal and the flat surf of the handle. like i showed in the photo

thanks. 

David,

If you look at the file I attached, I used a "Replace Face" (from the surfacing tools pallet) to do that, but in my example I made it as a solid, rather than a surface model. If you were set on using a surface there, then just continue with the surfacing tools, to "extend"& "trim" will get you there.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10