Solved! Go to solution

mirror flange

[ Edited ]

Edited on 1/12014 by Ryan:

Gang after some more playing around I was able to get the mirror function to perform as I expected it to. I'm fine with calling this new user error. But don't tell my wife I admitted I was wrong!!

I greatly appreciate the videos and tips on possible solutions. I look forward to the new year and explorering the possibilities with SE ST6.

++++++++++++++++++++

I am looking for the quickest way to mirror a non-symetrical flange from one side of the tab to the other side of the tab. Every attempt I've tried has failed to give me the simple results I need. What I am finding is that I don't have control of the placement plane. To get the results I need, I need to flip the normal of the placement plane.

I've attempted:

• Copy and Paste (provides the results in as shown in image)
  • Moving to Synchronous and copy and paste (still no luck)
  • Ordered: Mirror Feature (same results)

The only way to get the results is to use an old trick from my NX days of projecting the original flange edges into the flange (sketch) profile and using those.

Any other options to get the quick results. The only things I need to ensure is that I can unform and get a flat pattern generated from the file.

10 REPLIES

Hi Ryan,   You might try doing this with a circular patte...

Hi Ryan,

You might try doing this with a circular pattern on the X-Y plane. Obviously the base tab would need to be at the center point [mid line] when defining the 2 count pattern circle.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Re: Hi Ryan,   You might try doing this with a circular patte...

Sean-
Thank you for the quick response.
I can see that as a work around and I don't see how a user would find that workflow, in the least, "intuitive". It would require the user to either serious plan their design ahead of time or take extra steps and some construction geometry to define the center point of the pattern. Wouldn't you agree?

AlI that is required is a simple function that allows you to flip the placement plane so that the orientation is the same as the original. The users still defines the direction of the flange thickness.
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author RyanM
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

To add to Sean comment   A simple copy/paste should do th...

To add to Sean comment

A simple copy/paste should do the job

Re: To add to Sean comment   A simple copy/paste should do th...

Luc-
Thank you for the video. I did learn that I needed to look at Attach and detach functions. I noticed as I was attempting to do a similar process last night, that I was failing to get the pasted faces to attach was to use the attach function.

Your example is close but it still doesn't orient the flange correctly. The bend area is giving me the problem. I need to reverse that prior to attaching. (That is what I meant by flipping the normal of the profile plane).

Try this..

[ Edited ]

Try this..

Edit: You can as well create a temporary plane locate at the a mirror point and delete that plane later

Take three :-)

Detach is available on the mirror ribbon bar, no need to detach prior to mirror.

Re: Hi Ryan,   You might try doing this with a circular patte...

Hi Ryan,

I'm not so sure I see it as a counter-intuitive function either....
I find that one of the many talents of both this great software and the different operators using it, to be able to do such things as this, in a variety of ways, each with their own merits.
Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Dear Ryan, The most direct solution that I can find to yo...

Dear Ryan,

The most direct solution that I can find to your problem is shown in nthe attached video.

Cheers

Mark

Re: Dear Ryan, The most direct solution that I can find to yo...

Mark, this doesn't seem to address the flipping of the geometry in the mirrored set.
Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Re: Dear Ryan, The most direct solution that I can find to yo...

Yes It does. But if you want more results then use Detach/Attach with mirror again.
Solid Edge is SIMPLE and EASY. See attached
Cheers
Mark