Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modifying part copy to add feature

Creator
Creator

I have imported a file as a part copy from a vendor but want to add wrapped text to the surface as a protrusion.  I have added the wrapped text on the surface but it will not allow me to create a "normal protrusion" as I normally do when I create my parts myself and do this.

Has anyone ran across this and found a trick to do it?  Or doesn't SE allow this function/feature to be done on an imported part?

This is the error I get each time I go to do it:  I know the text is on the curved surface though.

wrap text error.JPG

2 REPLIES

Re: modifying part copy to add feature

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

The message in the image prompts me to think if the profile indeed lies on the surface.

The only time I could manage to get this message when trying to reproduce the problem mentioned was when the profile curve was not on the surface but still on a plane before I projected it on to the part surface for a subsequent normal cutout or protrusion.

Can you post a picture of the curve and the surface ?

Re: modifying part copy to add feature

Creator
Creator

Here are my steps to help you out.  Again, I do this all the time with parts I create/modify.  But this is the first time I've tried to do it with a part copy/import file.

1) Create sketch (picking the tangent plane from the drop down menu)

2) pick orientation

3) write text

4) hit finish.

Then I go to surfacing.

1) hit the "wrap sketch" button

2) I click on surface that text will be wrapped to. (it highlights), and I hit finish

3) then I click my text as a chain, hit green check and then finish..

text is now wrapped, and I hide sketch to do the protrusion.  That's when I get the previous error message.

Here is the surface and text included

wrap test.JPG