Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

motion in assebllies

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello everyone,

I'm new to solid edge and working my way around.

The problem I have is trying to create a connection between two concentric rotating shafts that needs to have a "sprag/clutch/one way" bearing. I have created a simple split crank that gives 340 degrees of free rotation then engages with the second shaft. In the normal assembly mode I can use the drag command and rotate the first of the concentric shafts, which subsequently  engages with the second shaft both cw & acw, it picks up and rotates the shaft in both directions within the limits of the set constraints.

However, when switching to Motion simulation and applying constant velocity to the first shaft revolute, the first shaft will rotate but the second shaft remains stationary and the crank pins pass through each other non interfering.

No motion is transmitted to the second shaft.

Any suggestions please...

Carl..

7 REPLIES 7

Re: motion in assebllies

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Are you trying to do a true motion simulation? Or do you just want to see both shafts rotate like they do when you do drag component? You could always try placing a rotational motor on one of the shafts if all you need is an animation of them rotating. 

Capture.JPG

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi ,

I'm trying to do true motion simulation first and also then a vibrational analasys of the structure at high speed.

I need to drive one shaft at a specific rpm then cut the power and let the second shaft and its connected componants overrun and observe any vibrational loads as the shaft winds down.

Carl...

Legend
Legend

For the first part of your query I'd suggest you look at the variable table, variables are updated during animations, so using variables & an "IF" statement you should be able to simulate the pin engagement during an animation.

I'm not sure if using the variable table would stretch to vibrational analysis to be honest. I'd be interested to find out though.

Solid Edge 2019 MP4 - Windows 10 - K2000

Experimenter
Experimenter
Using the variable table to control a part is above my experience level so far.
I guess what I'm trying to do is akin to setting a 'spinning top' going then observing its balance as it slows down.
I don't know if Solid Edge can do this kind of simulation..

Legend
Legend

It was above my experience level too, until I experimented with it.

Here is a primer on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlgfuV6mLls

It's a very powerful tool.

Legend
Legend

@bweisenberger wrote:

Are you trying to do a true motion simulation? Or do you just want to see both shafts rotate like they do when you do drag component? You could always try placing a rotational motor on one of the shafts if all you need is an animation of them rotating. 

Capture.JPG

Actually, maybe @bweisenberger has a simpler way of doing what you are trying to achieve.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thanks for tips everyone, I'll keep digging deeper into SE.