Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need setting for configure ramdisk for speedup solidedge

Creator
Creator

Good morning, i need  to know about toi configure ramdisk for speedup solidedge.

i use large assembly, or need to convert step file of 200mb(with a i7 ssd 16gb ram needed more of 30 minutes)

thank you to all!

best regards

7 REPLIES 7

Re: need setting for configure ramdisk for speedup solidedge

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Not sure a ramdisk is going to help. Can you tell if your HDD is churning while converting?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Creator
Creator
during step conversion i see lots of work of hard disk led(it's SSD)
graphic card is a P2000

The SSD disk is already ram storage. I'm not an expert but if everything is working in ram already then what is making a ramdisk going to help? Your just reducing the pool of available base ram it seems to me. I think you only want a ram disk when a slower hard disk is doing a lot of work.

A 200mb step file is pretty big. Are there a lot of parts in it? Is the geometry feature rich, a lot of faces? Is it completing the task in that 30 minutes? That may just be what it takes with your setup.

<edit> I looked at some original step files from a customer I had to convert. One was 173mb. It took a long time as well. I think about that long if not longer. I wondered if SE had locked up while waiting. And I had to do a lot of simplification to help make the converted model usable. That model had every single fastener used. The fasteners had actual 3D helical threads and there were a bunch of extruded channel fully modeled with all radii. Everything was "realistically" modeled. It was/is kind of a nightmare. I don't think your time is unreasonable.

Bruce Shand

Hi there @Silvano74,

Fully agree with @bshand.....not an unreasonable amount of time, to translate a file of that size, and also that the complexity of the topology can vary from file to file.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator
Ramdisk is faster up to 10x vs SSD. Trmporary files in RAM disk help SSD
Life to be more long and trmporary files when used are very fast

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Setting "Enable Logging=Off" will help marginally improve overall STEP translation performance.

Are you importing or exporting the STEP file?  If importing then set "Import DoNotSave=On".

@Silvano74 wrote:
Ramdisk is faster up to 10x vs SSD. Trmporary files in RAM disk help SSD
Life to be more long and trmporary files when used are very fast

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Since you don't have a lot of ram (16gb, same as mine) I wonder what the minimum amount to leave to the system is? 32gb total ram seems like a much better starting point.

Bruce Shand