Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

network material table

Legend
Legend

We have our material table on our network, so everyone uses the same one. We are having issues with people changing things, that might not know what they are doing. We have discussed making it write-only, but then those with the password have to be bothered to make changes that come up.

I've not been able to track down who makes these changes, to help teach them what they need to know. When we bring this up in group discussions, the common response is the old "not me" from everyone. Smiley Frustrated

Does anyone have feedback on how to determine person(s) that make changes? Is write-only the best option, or do you have another direction you take?

7 REPLIES

Re: network material table

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Seems like you need to limit write privileges to a select few so would-be changers would have to go to one of them and then they can have a teaching moment. Then when they're educated you can add them to the write list.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The Solid Edge material file is actually a Solid Edge part file.

Simply make a copy of your modified networked Materials.mtl file, rename that copy to Materials.par, then you can open this .par file into Solid Edge and look at the File Properties -> Statistics at the "last saved by" user id.  The last person modifying the Materials.mtl file will be this user id.

YMMV

@uk_dave Nice trick. I couldn't figure out why the .mtl didn't have that info.

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend
That's a neat trick, but it isn't proving to be correct. I made a change, and it doesn't show being modified by myself?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Trikefreak works for me so like any hack YMMV.

Bottom line, IMHO any networked options, including materials, should not be editable by all. 

@Trikefreak wrote:
That's a neat trick, but it isn't proving to be correct. I made a change, and it doesn't show being modified by myself?

You're looking at the details tab in file properties? Works for me. It's "last saved by".

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend
my first test didn't show that i just made a change, showed another user. i'll play around with it, when time allows.