open assembly from moved folder

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello all,

I have a problem, namely that I made an assembly in a specific folder, and most of the parts are saved in other folders. Now when I tried to open my assembly on an other PC, I got an error message, saying its either wrong file format or I don't have access to the file. But I'm guessing its rather that the program can't retrieve the parts of the assembly, because it is looking for them through the originally given path, which isn't working, because the the whole containing folder has been moved to another location/drive etc.

I hope someone can figure out how I could open and keep on using my files, since I worked for ages with them.

Thanks

bazsnyak

2 REPLIES

Re: open assembly from moved folder

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The message you are seeing most likely has to do with the other PC having an older version of Solid Edge or an incompatible license (trying to open student version created file with commercial version).  If it was due to broken links it would still open but would give you a message as to what links were broken.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Re: open assembly from moved folder

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the reply. Today I tried on an other PC that had the same version of SE than the one I saved the assembly on, and it worked. Shame though you can't save files in older versions of SE.