open drafts of Parts/Assemblies directly from BOM ?

IS there a way?

is there a way to directly access the drafts file from items listed in the BOM?

each item in the BOM has Draft. 

when i open my assembly draft. i need a quick way to open each item listed in the BOM preferably the draft file.

Does Anyone know a way of doing this?

6 REPLIES

Re: open drafts of Parts/Assemblies directly from BOM ?

What about if i changed the fields in my bom?
i could create a user defined property. could i have the user defined property as a hyperlink to the file???

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Not intended as criticism of SE but this is a capability that cousin SolidWorks has had for years. To open the models represented in the BOM, not drafts. It would be nice if SE incorporated it.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Bruce, i added a link to the binder manually, is there a way to have solid edge populate the binder automatically??

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like a question for a coding/macro geek.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

This one has me thinking. I could care less about CAD linking the part from the Parts lists. But if the finished PDF could link the other PDF's in the parts lists, that would be cool.

Then it would be easy to navigagte the results.

To make that happen, the link to the PDF would be need to be embedded into the actual parts lists so it would print to PDF with that function.

Phenom
Phenom

12GAGE wrote:

This one has me thinking. I could care less about CAD linking the part from the Parts lists. But if the finished PDF could link the other PDF's in the parts lists, that would be cool.

Then it would be easy to navigagte the results.

To make that happen, the link to the PDF would be need to be embedded into the actual parts lists so it would print to PDF with that function.

At the moment if you insert a link in the draft file it is not maintained in the printed PDF, or at least I haven't found a way to do it with Solid Edge itself.

I do add all the links to other PDFs I need directly on the PDF file (I wrote a program to do it).

I must say that the result it is very usefull and browse the drawings just by clicking on it's part number in the BOM it is a pleasure and very productive.

I can do this because all my drawings PDFs are stored in a reliable manner, just by the file name I can exactly know where it is stored and able to create the link.

Would be great if that was an out of the box function.