opening ST6 files on windows 8 slower than windows 7

Hi,

in the last days we replaced one workstation with a new one having the same graphic card (Quadro K2000) but with windows 8.1 (instead of windows 7) a faster processor and more ram.

The new workstation is slower than the other when opening files and has the same performance during drawing.

Just for example opening the same file form the new one takes 130 seconds instead of 80 seconds on windows 7.

Does anyone experienced the same problem?

Thanks a lot

A.Motta

6 REPLIES

Re: opening ST6 files on windows 8 slower than windows 7

[ Edited ]

There are a few threads on this. The main culprit is file translation from older formats to new. Once you save the files in an updated format, the times should go back down.

One other thing that appears to be slower is the sheet metal gage table.

----edit

nevermind. I was thinking new ST version, not windows 7.

I would stick to windows 7 for now if you can. Each upgrade of the OS costs more overhead.

Assuming this must be an assembly file. 90% of opening an Assembly file is just reading the file off the disk. So I would look to the disk speed as a smoking gun. PS> People are dramatically reducing file open times by going to SSD.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

I hope this is the case. I plan to move everything to my local SS drives, but moving things from the server to my local disk is going to take days because of how revision manager works.

For a massime file migration I would move them all in one shot with windows explorer and then use the "redefine link" function of Revision Manager.

You will redefine just the portion of the Path that change, something like:

For example:

from \\file_server\drawing\ to D:\documents\drawing\

Most of my links are perpetual includes. They can't be repaired.

[ Edited ]

I don't understand what you mean.
The purpose of redefine link function is exacly what you are going to do, move all the file from a location to another.

I have used it at least 3 times to move my drawings from a server to another during the years.