output/convert files to sketchup?

I've got a customer that would like to view my assembly files via sketchup. I've not used this sketchup before, but installing it shows that it will accept import of 3ds, and few other I've never heard of. Anyone have some experience and advice?

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.
5 REPLIES

Re: output/convert files to sketchup?

I believe Sketchup can input WRL (VRML) files.  You can create one from SE by using Save As Image. 

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

[ Edited ]

This has been an ongoing issue for me as well, many of my clients request SketcUp's .skp files. I have used Trimble's SketchUp Pro off and on for about 10 years and its import capability has always been a bug in the ointment for me.

These are the file formats that SketchUp will import:

.dwg

.dxf

.3ds

.dae

.dem

.ddf

.ifc

.ifcZIP

.kmz

And SketchUp’s own format .skp, SketchUp will also accept several image formats.

In the past I have used a product and addin from Sim Lab, it has worked great until ST8; I recently contacted the company about an update... they're working on it. There are also other products e.g. Okino. I went with the less expensive Sim Lab "solution", I hope Sim Lab comes through because the other alternatives are 4 to 10 times more expesive.

Rubberneck wrote:

These are the file formats that SketchUp will import:

.dwg

.dxf

.3ds

.dae

.dem

.ddf

.ifc

.ifcZIP

.kmz

That's good to know @Rubberneck....as ST8 has an translator for the ."IFC" format.

Previously, I'd used my prehistoric version of Rhino to convert files to ".3DS".

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Here is one of the problems with using the .ifc format when importing into SketchUp; SketchUp treats arcs as having a set number or sides or facets and there is no easy way, that I know of, to set that before importing allowing arcs to look more like arcs; so, you end up with something like this. It's fine if you don't have any arcs or curved surfaces, but how often does that occur?

- Dave

Oh, that's next to useless then......guess I'll have have to stick with ole faithful, until we get some control over the facet precision. Something like that available in SEV options would do nicely, or even STL options.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10