problem combining 2 assemblies

Creator
Creator

I have a complicated assembly (that I didn't create) that I want to add to another assembly (that I did),  but when I drag it into the my assembly, it shows up as a single part (which is purple) and I can access any of the geometry that I need in order to properly place it into the larger assembly.

I'm sure this is some setting somewhere, because when I perform the same action with other assemblys that I have generated everything works fine.

If necessary I can post some pictures.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES

Re: problem combining 2 assemblies

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

Jason,

When you open the problem assembly on it's own, does it open okay?

When it is dragged into your assembly, in the pathfinder area is there a 'Simplified Assembly' entry a few lines below the problem assembly name? If so, try switching it off by going to the problem assembly name in the pathfinder, right click and goto Simplified/Adjustable and select 'Use Designed Assembly'.

There may a few things that can cause the behaviour you describe so if the above is not relevant a picture might help.

Frank

Edinburgh University

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I was thinking along the same lines as Frank....and yes, a picture or two will probably help.

To make Frank's suggestions [if they fix your issue] perpetual, have an Assembly open, check Solid Edge Options, and look at the Assembly tab to make your refinements.

ST7_Assembly_SEOptions_Assembly.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Creator
Creator

This is where I am confused.  Unfortunately I am not at work today so I don't have access to make some pictures, but I will do so next week.

One thing I noticed is that when I drag the sub-assembly into the larger assembly, it shows up in the tree as a single part - no sub-parts at all.  

Sorry if I'm not more clear I am very new to Solid Edge and I'm still in the steep part of the learning curve.

PLM World Member Legend

Jason,

this behaviour is consistent with 'simplified assemblies'.  There are several options and workflows that might produce such a result although the purple colour is unlikey (but possible) with most of the methods that I can think of.

A picture of the assembly tree would help a lot if you can post one.  I'm sure one of the many experts on this forum will figure the problem out and more than a few will be quite curious about it even if you've solved the problem already.

Frank

Edinburgh University

Creator
Creator

OK, I'm back at it now.  Here is link to some images (3), first is the assembly that is the problem, second is of another part that will be part of the larger assembly, and the third is what happens when I drag the first assembly into the larger assembly.  I can post more if necessary.

Just to be clear, this is the first time I've run into an assembly that does this, so it's definitely something with that particular assembly, and not a general setting in Solid Edge.

Thanks again for the help!

(I wasn't sure what the protocol is for posting a bunch of large images so I just put them in an Imgur album)

PLM World Member Legend

You are definitely loading the subassembly as a simplified part. With the assembly shown in your 3rd picture (Asm3) try:

to point your mouse at the tree entry for the subassembly FULL REFO MIRROR and then right click.

you should see a drop down, choose 'Simplified/Adjustable'

you should see another small drop down box, choose 'Use Designed Assembly'

What happens? (at the very least the small icon on the tree should look slightly different from the one in the photo)

There appears to be a lot going on in your models in that there may have been several steps and choices made when creating/saving the the original subassembly and it looks like it has also been saved several versions ago.  

Fingers crossed.

Frank

Edinburgh University

Creator
Creator

Thanks Frank!  That did the trick.