property text in draft template

Pioneer
Pioneer

I would like to add a field on our part drawing templates that references to the higher level assembly. Basically telling you which assembly the part depicted on the drawing belongs to.

How would I go about doing that?

Thanks

ST8 MP4
Win 7 Pro
11 REPLIES

Re: property text in draft template

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Speaking strictly for myself I don't believe this is possible. There is no property that references where-used. I wish there was.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

I know of a company using SE that has such reference on there drawings and I doubt they enter it manually. But I couldn't find anything.

ST8 MP4
Win 7 Pro

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There is nothing out of the box that will do this.  I would imagine it can be done with some automation...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Phenom
Phenom

Several thrteads about this already.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Creator
Creator

You can use custom properties or populate standard properties.

I use a VB macro to populate custom properties easily into a border.

You could try something similar.

See my sample image attached.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Zach0350,

This macro looks like something I could use. Did you write it yourself or download it?

Regards

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @AndyRDM

but my thoughts about this info within a part drawing is, what is if this part is assembled to more then one assembly?

According to what we have learned and what I tell to any new engineer is, that if talking about a part drawing we talk about a "manufactoring drawing".

And what should be show on such a drawing?

Everything what is necessary to produce one single item of this part.

Therefore information about all dimensions, tolerances, surface texture, edges, material, hardness, manufacturing process, and so on belongs to this drawing.

But IMHO it makes no sense to talk about pos numbers, number of parts and assemblies when showning a single part.

But - next but  -I also have written a SE macro for use in an assembly to write a custom property into every single part and subassembly occurency of this assembly.

Alway under the premise that those parts are only used within this single ASM and that the are stored at the same place as the assemby will be stored.

Otherwise anybody can use this part and put it into another assembly, run the macro and write back a different custom property from a different assembly.

And this could be dangerous!

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks hawcad,

My situation is somewhat simpler.

I'm creating templates to suit our new cad standard. We are, to the best of our abilities, trying to parameterize the part or assembly so that all admin is removed from the draft - all attributes (including revisions) have to be populated at model level.

I've accomplished this with custom part and assembly templates, it's just that the SE custom properties interface is not the most friendly - too many clicks and buttons etc. - frustrating. So I'm trying to find a macro (or a peice of code at least) that pulls up the custom attributes allowing the user to populate the fields in a simple (modern?) manner.

No luck yet, I'll try and write my own this weekend.

Regards

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @AndyRDM

if I understand correctly, what is about the property manager?

Can it help?

regards
Wolfgang