Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

put a relation on a point in a pattern in sketch

Legend
Legend

I must have some setting turned off or something... I just want to put a connect or point on relation between a line and an occurrence in a pattern in sketch.  Specifically I'm using circular and I would like to use the pattern to help define the rest of the sketch.  So I would like two ref lines from the center, one ending at the "reference point" which is easy and the other line ending at the first occurrence next to it.  I cannot figure out how to select any of the other occurrences. 

work around is use parameter table I guess...

Thanks

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.
10 REPLIES

Betreff: put a relation on a point in a pattern in sketch

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

HI @bnemec

sorry, but I can't follow You.

Is it possible to provide a picture or sketch or ....

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

Sorry for my poor grammar, hopefully this screen shot helps.  I want to use the occurences of a pattern to position lines and other sketch elements.

selectOccurence.PNG

You mean the green dots which indicate the ostensible pattern position based on the count in the pattern dialog? Doesn't seem likely. AFAIK It's just a virtual indicator. Besides, what would happen if you change the count.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @bnemec

the standard question in such a case always will be:  "What is the goal?" - "What is Your intend?"

If You draw the line and pattern it directly You will ahve there too.

But pattern in 2D sketch never is a good approach, IMHO

Try to get the wanted goal using a 3D method rather than a 2D

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend
@bshand, Hold on; googling ostensible ...

Smiley Indifferent It has a lot of meanings but I mainly intend "represented or appearing as such".

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend

@hawcad,

end goal:  from my OP

"Specifically I'm using circular and I would like to use the pattern to help define the rest of the sketch.  So I would like two ref lines from the center, one ending at the "reference point" which is easy and the other line ending at the first occurrence next to it."

I am certainly not patterning the profile in the 2D sketch, that is what the pattern feature is for.  I would like the profile that defines the extrusion that will be patterned to be driven by the spacing between the first and second occurrence.

Changing the number of occurrences is exactly the point.  Lets say I have a full circle pattern and I change from 8 to 12 occurrence, the distance and angle between the first (reference) occurrence and the second occurrence changes.  I want my profile to change with it.  Think a custom spline profile for example, I would like the spline size to change with the number of splines to evenly fill the circumference of the shaft.  Having my sketch driven by a couple occurrences of the pattern will make a clean, easily readable profile sketch.

I had assumed that it was possible to used these points and i was just doing something wrong.  As a work around I'm using the number of occurrences in the parameter table and doing a 360/V3284/2.....  to calculate an angle dim between two ref lines that make a pie shape as in the screen shot I attached.

edit: spelling

No features are driven by the pattern sketch itself?

Bruce Shand

HI @bnemec

this is what I would suggest to do.

360 degrees divided by Number of Occurencies

I think this would be the easiest

regards
Wolfgang