"Error in sectioning the view" - Help please!

Creator
Creator

Hi all, Laurence here, first time poster.

I was working on the draft of an assembly, after working on the assembly I went back to the draft and updated a section view only to have it produce an error.

This is the draft before updating, the section view is at the bottem:

3.png

And this is the draft after a (quite lengthy) Update Views:

4.png

The sectioning has dissappeared, creating new section views grants the same error after this point.

In fact, after this error appeared the first time I can't do ANY model changes to ANY files, this includes extrusions, cuts, PMI Section views, draft section views, etc... I can only create round and chamfers!

This is a screen of me creating an extrude in a new part:

5.png

After I restart Solid Edge the bug is fixed, untill I update the first draft again...

My Solid Edge version is 107.00.00.104 x64, my OS is windows 7.

The draft file with hich this keeps happening is located in a shared server location.

My colleague has attemted to open this draft on his workstation, same specs, and has recieved the exact same error.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

-Laurence Van Geyte

9 REPLIES

Re: "Error in sectioning the view" - Help please!

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

this error be around for a long time. typically it means your cutting zero thickness. inspect your cut line to make sure it's not tangent to a circle or right on a horizontal or virtical, depending on you cut direction. unfortunately i could not reproduce this error. but it use to happen to me a lot

Builder
Builder

I have seen this error also, although I have not noticed the related problems with part and assemblys, I may not have gone into them without restarting Edge. Have you filed this problem with GTAC?

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the reply, after this first error occurs Solid Edge seems to become unstable, and every other section (or Extrude or Cut) in ANY other place in ANY other file always grants this error.

So in those cases it can't possibly be a zero thickness error.

Luckily when Solid Edge is restarted it seems to return to normal, until the "currupted" draft is reopened.

Any ideas?

Creator
Creator
What exactly is GTAC?

I have reported the error to our contact at adopt-id and they don't know as well.
What did you do to resove the problem when you had it? And does the error return from time to time?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

GTAC is the "Global Technical Access Center" for Siemens PLM product support.  There you can download updates, search a support knowledge base, and log IR's (Incedent Reports).  If outside the America's, I believe you need to leverage your Solid Edge reseller to log IR's for you.

https://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/gtac.shtml

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I also notice you are not running any Maintenance Patches.  If you are a customer on paid maintenance, I would suggest installing the latest MP.

Thanks,
Ken

Creator
Creator
Hi, thanks for the comment. Yes wel it is our Solid Edge provider that I have contacted, he also sugested to upgrade to Maintenance Pack 3, I did this, but unfortunately the error persists.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The other thing to try if it is not on, is to turn on "Process Intersections" on the primary view with the cut line and then regenerate it (it will go out of date), and then create the section view.

Thanks,
Ken

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

OK was able to reproduce it. least for me when it happens is when the cut line on the edge of a circle or on the edge of the line. this also depends your cut direction. if my cut direction is up then all fine. once i go down, no can do. this problem been around since i started, 16 years ago. hopefully this helps

SECTION ERROR.PNG