"[Filename] exists elsewhere in this dataset" error in Revision Manager

At work we have large assemblies with parts often being added from various different folder paths. When we want to have a review off-site with a customer, we used to use revision manager to copy the entire assembly structure into one folder to take with us, and all the links would remain intact since everything was in one folder.

The process I've always used is expanding the entire tree > select all > set action to copy > set path to new folder > perform action.

For whatever reason though, this has stopped working for me. I get the following error...

The filenam [X] exists elsewhere in this dataset. Using this filename would overwrite existing data. Enter a new filename."

Like I said, this is a new issue. Going through the tree and finding the multiple instances of the same file isn't really realistic because the assemblies are so large. If one part does shoes up multiple times, it's always pulling that part from the same location. It's not as if there are 2 parts with the same name in different locations.

Any suggestions?

21 REPLIES

Re: "[Filename] exists elsewhere in this dataset" error in Revision Manager

[ Edited ]

Hi there @Garmacm,

Maybe the conversation in the thread link below, will help.....

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Pack-and-Go-in-Solid-Edge/m-p/265291...

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

@SeanCresswell, that link seems to be broken...

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

After opening the link, need to remove an extra space at the end and it will be fine.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Pack-and-Go-in-Solid-Edge/td-p/2652...

If it's for review only then why not export to JT and use the free viewer.  It should also have the benefit of being a lot faster to navigate around the assembly.

Guy

CAD/CAE Manager
ST8 MP9

Thanks, @Tushar, It was more than a space. "td-p/265291%C2%A0" I had to remove everything to the right of 1%.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Thanks @bshand,

I fixed the link, just before my early morning 3 hour road trip [much to my wifes amusement - pointing out my rather obvious SE-Community addictionRobot LOL ] to our Auckland office. That meaning, I have only NOW, checked that the updated link actually worked. Robot wink

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

We get this a lot when pulling out large assemblies from SE to put into a simulation - the issue for us is because suppliers data often has the same part number in several places.  It causes a ton of grief because you have to fix them one at a time.  Very time consuming.  Would love to see Revision Manager updated with some fixes for problems like this as I dont think it has been changed in years.  If you could just add an extension when it ran across a duplicate file it would work for us as those parts are eventually excluded from the simulation anyway (other subassys at that level were needed so you have to take the whole thing - which is another issue with rev manager)

We actually ended up programing our own version of "pack and go" to copy files off the system because revision manager didnt really do a very good job of grabbing the model and drawings.  (at least not for our purposes).  Our program doesnt work that great either though...seems to find every reverse link and you end up with 100,000 files sometimes.

If you find a way to fix or rename all the duplicate named files at once would like to know how!  Or push harder to give revision manager a little more capability!

@User1,

Pretty sure the enhancements bundled in ST9 should cover everything off for you. 

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

I have the issues, and can't avoid it. I have to copy using revision manager for each draft-unit (Draft+assy+parts) and then re-assemble.

The problem comes from having multiple copies of what was once a single file in the big picture. I make sheet metal tanks. Each tank will have sheet metal parts P1, B2, L1 (pan 1 , lid1, body 1). So when I Have 10 tanks in the same job, I will have 10 files called P1. Each lives in it's own directory.

Once you try to place them all into a single directory, that's how the software say's $%^& you, have unique names for each part.

The only way to solve for use with rev-man is to rename the parts that have duplicate names.

The other situation that comes up is I used rev-man on a draft unit. because a standard part was included from, it has to go for the ride even when that part is a common part to many tanks I want to have all referencing. In that case, you may a local part and a general referenced part that have the same name and are the same part, but is being handled different by revision manager.