"Show" checkbox in drawing view properties is disabled

I cannot show or hide parts in any drawing views of this assembly.  The "Show" checkbox under Selected Part(s) Display is grayed out and cannot be changed.

15 REPLIES

Re: "Show" checkbox in drawing view properties is disabled

Nevermind. Once I unselected the .cfg button, Show functionality returned. We have a few new guys that must be changing settings I never use. LOL.

[ Edited ]

The larger question might be why aren't you using configurations controlled from the assembly model rather than having to manually deal with this control in draft? I find it far easier to set up the part display in the model and control it with congurations than to have to deal with it in the draft.

Configurations can be very powerful. We use them extensively with our assembly models and drawings. As I just noted in another post you can also use the configurations to control your drawing parts list.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

This is one of those important concepts that is not pointed out in any of the available basic training vids. This falls into the same category as the format of the parts-list dictates the file structure for holding part numbers and organizing variables. Big picture stuff that is difficult for most to grasp until each user has paid the 2000 hours of use. I'm just now finishing my first 2000 hours that is considered the standard learning curve of any parametric modeler.

[ Edited ]

I know that some companies refuse to pay for training and don't see the value in it, but when you pay as much for software as you do for Solid Edge, I think training is a wise investment. SE is not your last century 2D CAD program that you can learn yourself like you might have with AutoCAD. There is so much to learn that, in my view, training is a necessity. 

I have been using SE since version 3.5 (1997) when I bought it originally for my two man engineering consulting company. I sucked it up and paid for the training out of my own pocket because I simply could not afford to spend 2000 hours figuring it out. I needed to put it to work immediately to make money. The 4 day training made the learning curve much shorter and I was productive in short order. For full disclosure I also became a certified Solid Edge trainer and did that from V.7 up through about 12 or 14. 

If you don't get started on the right foot with software like SE, by the time the first year passes you may have dug yourself a large hole that it is difficult to extract yourself from. In my classes I always tried to point out the areas that could bite you if you did not spend some planning time. SE is significantly more complex now than it was when I first learned it and therefore, I believe training is even more critical today. 

I have seen people and companies create a heck of a mess because they couldn't justify spending a few thousand dollars on training to learn to do it right the first time. Your mileage may vary, but for me, training is worth every dollar regardless of which side of the desk you are sitting on.

I don't do consulting or training anymore, I just manage a few SE users and try to keep them out of trouble until we make the inevitable move to Pro E in a year or so.

Bob Henry

The cost of the training it's self is typically not the issue. The cost is losing your cad people for the time of training. In my situation, I'm a one man show for a fabricator. The cost of no new drawings for a week is huge.

[ Edited ]

Yes, I can totally relate which is why I mentioned about my situation when i took the training. Not only did I pay for training, I gave up the billable hours I could have been charging while the training was happening.

It is much like the old Fram oil filter commercial: Pay me now, or pay me later.

Bob Henry

Dave,

As Bob mentioned, you should definitely be using configurations to control draft views.  Not only is it easier to set up what you want to see in your assembly model than it is in draft, if you don't use configurations, you might find that your draft views may show/hide things that you did not intend and will tend to do so over time.

Also, in the Solid Edge Options General Tab, make sure you check the box that says "assembly configuration changes make drawing views out of date in this file".  That way, if you change/update a configuration in your assembly model, the draft views will indicate the change with a gray box rather than you having to go into the draft view properties and checking the configuration every time.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Kyle's suggestion to turn on assembly 'configuration changes make drawing views out of date' is important. You can set this in a template file, but you may not want it turned on for all drawings. AFAIK there is a performance cost to turning this on. We have a separate template for assembly drawings with this setting turned on.

Jason

" AFAIK there is a performance cost to turning this on. We have a separate template for assembly drawings with this setting turned on."

Only assemblies have configurations so it shouldn't matter if it's used for other file types.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200